Miniature needlepoint rug

I made this wee Baluch rug, design circa 1800, for @Bunny1kenobi to add to one of her miniature scenes. It is on either 22- or 24- count aida cloth. It would be nice to go smaller, but this is as small as I can stitch at this point. :nerd_face:

The pattern, and many others, are available for free courtesy of Anna-Carinโ€™s Miniatures. Apparently the rugs she makes are half this size, or smaller! :exploding_head:I canโ€™t even imagine, let alone see. There was also a tutorial there for making the fringe at the end of the rug.

Since it was the Use What You Have Swap, I didnโ€™t go out and buy fabric glue, which was what was recommended for finishing the rug. Instead, I covered the back with a heavy fusible web meant for hemming, and poked some Elmerโ€™s glue along the edges that risked fraying.

29 Likes

This is beautiful!! Forgive my ignorance, but how does aida cloth work? Is it a stiff material or do you use a teeny embroidery hoop? The detail youโ€™ve achieved is remarkable with how small the medium is!

3 Likes

Lovely! One of my most treasured minis is a rug done in microscopic petit point by a friend.

4 Likes

I was so delighted to receive this and I had no idea it was based on an historic pattern! Knowing that makes it even cooler in my book!!!

I love this so much! Thank you!!

2 Likes

Thanks! The cloth is somewhat stiff when you buy it, but it softens after washing. It is woven as a grid, so stitches are always the same size and it isnโ€™t as necessary to use a hoop or frame when stitching. That also helps the eyes! I hold the cloth taut between the fingers of one hand while putting stitches in with the other hand.
However, now that you mention it, using a frame would have kept the finished piece from skewing sideways, as the tension would have been evenly distributed. It goes back to rectangle with tugging, but it likes to be slightly off.

3 Likes

So many tiny stitches! And that fringe! :star_struck:

2 Likes

I know @Bunny1kenobi and I know this is completely her jam. You hit it out of the park. Itโ€™s amazing.

1 Like

This is so great!

1 Like

Dang, those are some really tiny stitches. I canโ€™t imagine stitching at that scale but the end result is totally worth it! Nice!!

1 Like

WOW! This is so wee! I may have gone a little blinder just imagining trying to stitch so small.

2 Likes

Whoa! This is rad!

1 Like

Love the teeny tiny! Fusible web or interfacing is a great idea for the back! Beautiful!

1 Like

Plus, it provides reasonably good skid protection, so inhabitants of the tiny room donโ€™t slip and fall. :rofl:

1 Like

Congrats! Your Miniature Needlepoint Rug is one of this weekโ€™s featured projects. Way to go!

1 Like

Yay! Thank you! :smiley:

1 Like

That came out so awesome! Beautifully done.

1 Like

Such tiny stitching makes my eyes hurt! It is lovelyโ€ฆand I like how you truly did use up what you had on hand!

1 Like

This is adorable! I have recently gotten on a needlepoint kick and will be trying one of these out for sure!

2 Likes

That is really cool that you used a historic pattern.

1 Like