Miniature Old, Stained Bathmat

(taken at sunset, but shows the scale)

I am continuing making minis for a “bigger” miniature project, this time a wee old, dingy bathmat. I used a pattern from Night Spirit Studio (on Etsy) that includes 4 rugs and 8 (or is it 6?) pillows in miniature.

Because I wanted it for a bathmat, I wanted to go with a 20-22 count base vs. the 14 ct recommended for a throw rug. BUT there was nothing to be found locally except 14 count and this… 28ct even weave. Oh, my achin’ eyeballs!

There are wee tiny bats in the corners! And because this is so cussing tiny I made some rather major mistakes and a couple minor ones. I even used a magnifying light for every stitch.

Anyway, after the stitching was done, I tea stained it. Next, I cut it so that the long sides would fold under and the ends would have some fringe. After that I used a mix of Tacky Glue and water to make a stiffener to form it to lay flat, but with messy fringe.

I tried it pinned to foil covered foam board - which is what those little holes are from. They don’t show on the top unless you’re looking for them.

It’s about 1 3/8" wide x 1 5/8" long (not including fringe which is 2 1/8")
3.4cm x 4cm (5.3cm)

20 Likes

Totally amazing! Looks very authentic.

1 Like

Very impressive! It looks real

1 Like

My eyes hurt for you! And even so, this makes me kinda want to make one. :laughing:

3 Likes

Aw, thanks, friends!

Hehe! This took WAY longer than it would have had it not been so tiny.

1 Like

Oh my gosh, me too!

Your title made me laugh and want to come and check it out @TheMistressT :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

So this is what you gave us a sneak peak of. Nice job

2 Likes

Thanks, y’all!

Yuppers.

2 Likes

Love the bats! Um, batroom rug?

1 Like

Haha! Yup, they’re from Joizey!

2 Likes

My eyes hurt for you but I’m glad you persevered, it looks amazing!!

2 Likes

So realistic! What a feat to work that small!

2 Likes

I LOOOOOOOOOVE it! So tiny! This is a feat and i cannot WAIT to see the larger project of which it is a part!

3 Likes

So tiny and so cool!

2 Likes

Awww, thanks so much everyone!

1 Like

So tiny and cute!

1 Like

I would not have been able to tea stain it after that much work. I would have been too worried it would have gotten messed up. Kudos for going through with it. Whatever this is going to be a part of is going to be absolutely amazing!

1 Like

Thanks, pallies!

Luckily, in this case messed up was the goal!

2 Likes