Misc discussion, not in lounge

Hey, can there be a discussion area that’s public, not in the lounge, for topics like where to source things, questions about what to do with specific items (there was a great “what can I make with this…?” on deadster), crafting for good not evil, etc etc. Should it go in shenanigans or…?

1 Like

Why wouldn’t posting a topic in the Discussions and Questions area of the appropriate section work for finding sources or asking for suggestions?

2 Likes

Where is the appropriate section for a “what can I make with this” question tho? I posted this in random in the lounge but a dedicated area for that sort of recycling question might get more exposure

I think pretty much any question about crafting would be appropriate including what can I make with this. It might be hard to find the best section, depending on the object, but a crafting question is a crafting question, right? Right!

1 Like

Where should I put that post? I honestly don’t know where it would fit :thinking:

I’d consider those a fiber/textile, I think. Untraditional, but that’s what it seems most like.

1 Like

I have two thoughts: Textile and Fiber, because it is a fiber product of sorts OR Home & Garden, because it is basically a home cleaning product (even though you got them from work). If you don’t get any hits on one, you can edit it to go into the other or I can if that’s a mod-only ability.

1 Like

Hmm, I’ll think about it a bit more. I don’t want to use them like fabric. Maybe they’d be good for paper mache or… I dunno. I just hate throwing stuff out.

I was thinking more in terms of the material being your base for determining the section rather than the method or result of your crafting.

1 Like

Just another thought on this…since it seems you want the freedom to discuss materials outside of a particular category board. Maybe this could fit as a craftalong if it was a “what can I do with this craftalong” where you shared what you did, in fact, make, OR as a “recycling craftalong” in a similar vein?

Then you could put it in Shenanigans and not feel tied to particular category. This might also lend itself more to continued engagement vs viewed as a one-off post for just that material. I’m not 100% sure this fits the definition of a craftalong, but maybe as long as finished projects are also shared?

@TheMistressT - thoughts?

5 Likes

Oh, thanks. That sounds good. It would invite posts about how do I use this bottlecap, burned out light bulb, plastic bag, broken electronic, old socks etc etc. The topic like that on cster was a fabulous resource of all kinds of ideas!

3 Likes

I think a craft along where it is not limited to the OP’s initial item is a great idea and having a request/requirement that the projects also get their own Topic is great!

I think that one reason that LC tries keep from constantly adding new sections and categories is to keep the behind-the-scenes sprawl under control. As I understand it, current search capabilities don’t require the top level “categorizations” to be so specific, because it can use the specifics of the title and within the post to find things.

3 Likes

Phew. Glad I wasn’t way off base. :slight_smile:

@Magpie - That’s exactly what I was thinking!

1 Like

Our members should feel comfortable using the tools/categories as they understand them! So long as the content isn’t breaking BIG rules (hate speech, business promotion, etc.) the worst that is going to happen is that it will be moved, the OP will be asked to rephrase something, or similar. NO BIG DEAL!

3 Likes

Ok, done!

2 Likes

LOVE!

2 Likes