Miss Havisham's Chinoiserie Parlor, before and after

The morning of Miss H’s wedding day, before she was jilted at the altar…

…and 20 years later.

The best part? It’s all printed! The furniture, wall, pottery, food, and even the lace tablecloths were 3D printed; the wallpaper, rug, and upholstery were printed on the inkjet.

I bought my 3D printer so I could make those chairs!

The vases and dishes were decorated with sharpie markers, with designs inspired by antique china.

Glass dome removed:

I drew the wallpaper based on Chinese designs, and added a pair of cranes–one flying off, the other in despair.

In case you don’t remember, Miss Havisham is a character in Charles Dicken’s Great Expectations. After being jilted on her wedding day, she becomes a recluse, and refuses to change anything, leaving the wedding breakfast on the table and wearing her wedding gown until the day she died

32 Likes

The chair is exquisite! Amazing detail work on the dishes and vases…and the fringe on the rug…

It boggles my mind to even think of how you came up with this project…unusual and well executed!

3 Likes

I cannot even wrap my brain around the fact that all of this is printed. And so incredibly well done!

2 Likes

WOW! What a great representation of that story! Amazing details! I always refer to an untouched dilapidation as a Mrs Haversham. Did you make two or did you distress the original? Or are they both half of the cloche and you turn it to see the before or the after?

3 Likes

This is super cool!

2 Likes

Thanks, y’all!

It’s two scenes back to back. They swivel, so you can turn back time with the flick of a finger.

The pedestal is an empty filament reel.:grin:

14 Likes

Woah that is really amazing! I love the little details - the china, the way the lace is particularly draped… Perfection.

2 Likes

Wow…you’ve managed to create a spectular mini snippet of Miss Havisham’s life. The pair of cranes is one of my favourite bits that you included. Amazing work!

3 Likes

YES! This is what I was hoping!

2 Likes

This. Is. AWESOME!

3 Likes

This is absolutely stunning! I can’t believe you drew all those tiny details on the china with a sharpie. Great Expectations has always been one of my favourite stories. As a non-native speaker of English, 19th-century literature really helped me learn when I was in school. I spent hours reading Dickens, Austen, the Brontë sisters and all the other classics with a dictionary by my side.

4 Likes

Incredible!!

1 Like

you did an AMAZING job on this. It looks GREAT!!

2 Likes

This is amazing! WOW!

2 Likes

Thanks for the ego-strokes, everybody!

I forgot to add this picture, taken before I added any paint or decoration.

8 Likes

You did a great job!

2 Likes

wow! this is lovely & I’m amazed at what a 3D printer can do!
and now I want to read that book! (not sure I made it through when I was younger, LOL)

and I am glad you posted details about how it swivels, as well as the before/ unpainted version! wow again!!

2 Likes

Very cool!

2 Likes

There’s also a movie with Helena Bonham Carter as Miss Haversham! I’m sure there’s more than one but I remember watching this one during lockdown, it’s fairly recent.

3 Likes

Most of the movie versions (there have been a few) play Miss H as an old woman, but she was probably around 40 when she met Pip. HBC was lovely in the role.

2 Likes