I had 3 ancient dryer balls made of wound wool yarn covered with roving that I used for years until the roving started falling off in bits and pieces and all that was left were some ugly little misshapen lumps too small to do much laundry fluffing. I missed them a lot so made some new balls which are really working out great, I’m happy with them. But… I felt sad about the old ones and really didn’t want to waste them. Somebody suggested crocheting covers but I have a bunch of fulled natural fiber sweater scraps kicking around the craft room and thought I could sew covers instead. Sure enough!
To even out the shape and size and give them enough heft to pummel the laundry and help it dry and discharge static, I cut some long strips of sweater to wind round them before stuffing them into the ball shapes. I found the 4 segment pattern online for free and machine stitched with a narrow zigzag for stretch.
They are fantastic and having 8 of them is great, kids regularly make off with a ball to play with so now there will always be enough to help the laundry get dry even if one or two are mysteriously missing .