Mocha Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies (Can be Lactation Cookies!)

I’m having trouble making enough milk for my little one, and the only thing that seems to help increase my supply is brewer’s yeast. Unfortunately too much of it gives little Ada terrible gas. So I’ve reworked a recipe for Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Lactation Cookies, reducing the amount of brewer’s yeast, and including other galactagogues, to see if this will be a happy medium for us. If you want to make some, but don’t need to be making breast milk, simply omit the brewer’s yeast, and you can use all butter (rather than butter & coconut oil), and regular white & brown sugars.

Mocha Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies (Lactation Cookies!)
2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
2 T instant coffee
6 Tablespoons water
1/2 cup of butter
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 cup granulated sugar (Optional: replace with Coconut Palm Sugar)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
3 Tablespoons peanut butter
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup almond flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons brewer’s yeast
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups rolled oats
2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the water with the flaxseed meal and instant coffee in a small bowl and allow it to sit for 5 minutes.

Combine the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, peanut butter, and the eggs in a bowl and beat 2-3 minutes until all ingredients are well mixed.

Add the flaxseed to the mixture until well blended and set aside.

In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and brewer’s yeast. Combine this mixture to the butter mixture which takes another 1-2 minutes.

Stir the oats and chocolate chips into the mixture until well blended.

Using a tablespoon scoop out mixture and place onto a lightly greased cookie sheet.

Bake for 10-13 minutes depending on your oven. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes, then move to a cooling rack.

7 Likes

Looks tasty-- hope they help! (I didn’t have trouble with milk supply, but I definitely had an emergency stash of brownies in the freezer for when my infant hit a growth spurt and doubled how much she was eating for 24 hours. :face_with_spiral_eyes:)

I hope parenthood is living up to your expectations! :grinning:

4 Likes

I hope this helps! The little one is still maybe just a tad too young to learn about “blame the dog”!

2 Likes

There was no way to blame poor Astrid for the toots the last time I made a version of lactation cookies. They were so god awful. They smelled exactly like burned popcorn, and could fill a very large room, very quickly. The cookies gave Jim & I gas too, but not as bad or stinky as Ada’s, and trying to get them out made her so fussy. She’d wiggle as hard as she could to try to get them out. I’m hoping this lower dose, plus her digestive system being a few weeks older, will help.

But if you leave out the brewer’s yeast, they are just delicious, perfectly normal cookies.

4 Likes

I don’t have kids so I had no idea about anything with trying to lactate, but the cookies look good and I am always all about cookies.

1 Like

Hahaha…Amen!

Good luck with these, Jennie!

2 Likes

Fabulous idea!

1 Like

Well, the myth about babies not having smelly farts until they eat solid food is now busted! lol

I know Brewer’s yeast is helpful in so many ways and your body does adjust to it (same with psyllium husks)…hope it helps all of you!

They do look yummy!