Model Magic Sea Turtles

I don’t have a lot of experience with clay because we didn’t work with it at my old school. I have a kiln in my classroom now, but not ready to bite that bullet with clay since I’m not super familiar and never taught it.

So, I am playing with Model Magic and exploring the idea of doing a unit where we twlk about sea turtles and the babies journey to the sea then make our own.

First, I learned that if I add a plastic bottle cap, it helps hold the shell shape. I made one with 1 oz and one with 1/2 oz of the Model Magic. They turned out close in size.

I made one where I put the cap in after and one as K was building. I thought that it could also be a space to hold a magnet (after filling in some of the depth.)

In progress painting

I love how they turned out. I’d probably teach this to 2nd or maybe 3rd grade because they are older and I’ve never taught it before. Wouldn’t a bale of sea turtles be so cute? I’d definitely add googly eyes!

16 Likes

What a smart idea to use the bottle cap! I love your idea of teaching the students about sea turtles and then having them make their own. Learning and a fun tangible component - what a great way to bring the lesson to life!

5 Likes

Love the bottle cap idea, and yeah, perfect for a magnet! Or hiding a secret message!

4 Likes

So cute, the bottle cap is also interesting for teaching about all the ocean plastic. Also instead of magnets, many newer fridges are no longer magnetic🥲, it could be a place to put special notes (inspirational, daily goal, etc)

3 Likes

These are so cute and the kids could really get into customizing the shells!

2 Likes

You have access to a KILN?!? Jelly, jelly, jelly…

Your sea turtle project is adorable! Model Magic would be great for magnets since it is so lightweight. I put magnets on my home office file cabinet as well as the fridge.

2 Likes

such a cool lesson idea!
and the bottle cap inside is fabulous! I’m thinking it would work for another idea I have, so thanks for the inspiration!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! The teacher in me thinks the bottle cap is also a great spot for them to write their initials or name for easy pass back.

I struggled to keep the shell shape from my pinch pot, so I knew they would, too. I love the bottle cap solution.

3 Likes

:love_letter: Woohoo! Your cool craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Congratulations! :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

Fantastic design! The kids will love this!

2 Likes

They are really cute, the shell shape is greatly helped with that clever hack. Googly eyes for the win!

1 Like

Googly eyes make the difference!

3 Likes

Radical, dude! Cowabunga!
I love model magic. It is surprisingly strong.

3 Likes

Cute idea! Your kids will love making these!

1 Like