Mojito Fault-Line Cake

I made a celebration cake for my sister in law’s birthday this year (she turned 34). She and my brother are phenomenal hosts, and they always throw wonderful parties in their huge backyard. This time she went with all Cuban foods to celebrate. They made a ton of sandwiches, rice and beans, and an incredible Diy elotes bar (we and most of their guests all grew up in the TX Rio Grande Valley, so roasted corn in a cup with lime/chile/etc is like catnip). My contribution was her cake—and in keeping with the theme, I cobbled together a mojito cake!

I attempted a fault line cake as decoration (the craze is fading from cake bakers, but it still pops up on my Instagram feed from bakers I admire). I think I might try it again, but it’s not my favorite (though I certainly don’t dislike it–I just make cakes relatively infrequently and prefer other decor when I take the time :wink:).

Here’s a not-great shot in the car on the way. I cleaned up the frosting edges once we got to their house.

I used this recipe as my jumping off for the cake (it’s super delicious as written, too, but be warned–the rum is very present! I added a good tablespoon of lime zest to the cake. I also used 1/4 c lime juice instead of the water in the syrup and added a ton of lime zest and chopped fresh mint when I added the vanilla off heat. I baked three six inch layer cakes rather than in a bundt.

King Arthur Rum Cake

And here’s the frosting! I added lime zest, chopped mint, and more rum to taste (several tablespoons of each).

Frosting

:heart::lemon::lemon::lemon::tropical_drink::tropical_drink::tropical_drink::heart:

23 Likes

At first I thought it was a fake cake…wow…it is quite artsy…and I mean pretty…

sigh I can barely do a box cake in a square pan with pop top icing…so I am an admirer of your beautiful cake presentation…I bet it was yummy as well

2 Likes

I am drooling! It turned out amazing!

2 Likes

amazing and impressive!

2 Likes

Love the “fault line” detail. I’ve never seen it before.

3 Likes

Whoa, cool! I would almost be sad to cut that up to eat it. almost…

2 Likes

It looks delicious! And the fault line with the fruit slices is ingenious.

2 Likes

Wowza, you have some skills!

2 Likes

Awesome cake! This is the first fault liner I’ve seen and think it’s brilliant. Looking forward to trying this recipe especially with the lime juice.

1 Like

What a fab cake…almost too pretty to eat!

1 Like

Wow! That’s looks amazing!

1 Like

It looks amazing and I can’t believe you drove with it like that- I’d need a real Mojito after that stress!

Your sister must have loved it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

that cake looks so derrishious!!!

:metal:

1 Like

Dang! The cake is beautiful and it sounds delish!

1 Like

That cake looks great and sound delicious! and you need lots of rum if it’s a Cuban party :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

That looks soooooo good! :drooling_face:

1 Like

Yum yum yum! This looks fantastic and I’m sure it tasted wonderful too!

1 Like

Oooo! So attractive and sounds delish, too!

1 Like

That is absolutely gorgeous, and it sounds SO delicious! Actually the whole party does; wish I could have been there! XD