Mokume Gane (ish) Pod

An experiment in creating a wet felted pod of many color layers. Initially I cut diamond shapes which were alright but not doing a lot for me. Have been trimming some more and I like it a lot better. I may trim a bit more before I officially call it done or I may go make another using different colors.

19 Likes

Pretty layers!

2 Likes

That’s cool!
I’d have to keep all those little bits of trimmed stuff - must be useful for something! :laughing::smile::smile:

2 Likes

Reminds me of those clay canes…you cut into them and find all sorts of surprise colors!

2 Likes

Exactly my thoughts, even the trimmed off bits are amazing.

2 Likes

I put them into a box and will probably toss them onto some pre-felt or pre-pre-felt (unwetfelted fiber about to become pre-felt ;).

1 Like

This is fascinating!!

:metal:

1 Like

I feel the need to experiment with different techniques for creating the multi-color layered pods. Have some ideas for alternate approaches. They’re fun!

4 Likes

These are so amazing. The first one makes my think of jawbreaker candies, but the others make me think of geodes. They are all so beautiful!

1 Like

The right most one went back into hot water for some more wet felting. I wasn’t happy with overall integrity of the piece (i.e. being able to stand up to normal use). Currently it is drying so I should have a photo of it tomorrow.

Wow, they look amazing!!

1 Like

The one on the right was wet felted again after being cut.

Another pod that I cut and then re-wetfelted. I has a nice twist in the pod which really isn’t visible in this photo.