Mona Lisa Quilt

Just finished my throw sized Mona Lisa quilt. It’s my 8th quilt. Had the pattern/ directions but they said nothing about the actual quilting part, and I couldn’t find another one finished online for ideas, so I was on my own.
Decided to practice a little trapunto on the frame and other parts of her outfit (sleeve folds and gathers in the neckline area).
I started out machine sewing everything and didn’t like it so ripped out what I’d done and redid it.
There’s machine sewing around her image and on portions of her sleeves for quilt stability but the rest of the stitches on her, and the background, are hand stitched.
I am very pleased with how the wooden frame turned out with the trapunto effect.
And it’s the first time my quilt back turned out the way it’s supposed to (flat, no bunching or fabric flaps accidentally caught in a seam) so I am happy about that too.

16 Likes

Edited by MistressJennie to move pictures up into main post of the thread.

8 Likes

Wowza! It’s stunning!

1 Like

Thank you. It was quick quilt to make, about a week and a half. But a lot of hand stitching. Lol I found it quite enjoyable to do.

1 Like

Great Job!!!

1 Like

Gorgeous!!

1 Like

Marvelous! Trapunto was a great choice for the frame, what did you use to make it dimensional?

2 Likes

I laid the Mona Lisa fabric panel face side down, then glued 2 layers of bamboo batting onto the frame area, cutting off the excess.

Then laid the batting over that as would normally be done for a quilt and added the backing.

Machine sewed the inside and outside of frame, as well as the ‘bands’ on the frame, making sure the center of the panel was as flat and unwrinkled as possible. After that it was a bunch of invisible hand stitches in the bands to make it more 3D.

The hardest part was trying to anticipate how the fabric would wrinkle after it was washed and dried.

5 Likes

This is amazing. I love how the folds at her sleeve look there. So cool! You should be sharing this in the Quilt along thread, too! They’d eat it up! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’d not heard of the Quilt Along thread. Guess I’ll have to look that up. Thank you for the suggestion.

2 Likes

I love to watch that thread like a TV show! :0)
Here’s a link for you: Quiltalong

1 Like

Oh, thank you. I’ll go give it a gander. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Oh, yes, for sure we would love oohing and awwing this on the quiltalong thread!

2 Likes

Thank you for the compliment and I have entered it into the Quiltalong. :smiley:

2 Likes

This is amazing and :clap: on all the hand quilting/sewing!

1 Like

Gorgeous!!!

1 Like

Congrats! Your Mona Lisa Quilt is one of this week’s featured projects. You are awesome!

2 Likes

This is cool, I love it!

1 Like

Well, thank you very much. :smiley:

This is really beautiful! I’m not a quilter but can imagine how painstaking it must have been to complete. Well done!

2 Likes