Monster party sketchbook cover

These watercolored monsters are on a sketchbook cover and were made for @gozer for Monster Swap. Mothman, Bride of Frankenstein, Yeti, Bigfoot, and Jersey Devil are celebrating JD’s birthday!
This is also my first submission for Monster Jam 2024!

Of course they documented the occasion with Polaroid pictures!
I painted them with watercolors and then cut a Polaroid shaped frame out of chipboard.

Next I covered the chipboard with a durable white label (for that classic Polaroid look) and cut out the center and layered the frame, a piece of mylar, and the painting and glued them all together. Although I applied a clear coat of spray paint to protect the watercolor, I added the mylar to provide a little extra protection.
I had initially spray painted the wood sketchbook cover with pink but decided it was a little too garish and re-painted with a pretty sparkly purple.

16 Likes

I’m so in love with this notebook. What a clever and charming idea!!! Your execution and attention to detail are commendable!!!

My favorite part is the shot with the cake. It’s totally what a candid polaroid would look like at a birthday party!

3 Likes

I love this so much! You had such a fun idea, and you really executed it well. The drawings are great and the polaroids are amazing. I love the sheen of the notebook.
The Mothman in the party hat cracks me up the most. He looks like she got caught trying to hit on The Bride.
I absolutely love this. Thank you so much!!

3 Likes

What a delightful story behind creating this fun monster paintings! I’m just sitting here smiling on my sofa.

1 Like

What an AWESOME idea! And wow, did you stalk Gozer perfectly, or what?? Fantastic execution, as well!

1 Like

Love that the monsters took Polaroids at the party. So clever!

1 Like

This is such a cool idea!! The polaroid frames are geniusly done. I love that you included the Jersey Devil! :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Great drawings and making them into polaroids is such a great and fun idea. :orange_heart:

1 Like

Your whole concept is just adorable and amazing and you really made it come to life!

1 Like

Such a fun, cool idea and beautifully executed!

2 Likes

:notebook_with_decorative_cover: :notebook_with_decorative_cover: :notebook_with_decorative_cover: Congratulations! your amazing project is a Feature of the Week! :notebook_with_decorative_cover: :notebook_with_decorative_cover: :notebook_with_decorative_cover:

2 Likes

How cool! Thanks for letting me know! :blush:

1 Like

Wonderful paintings and I love how you turned them into Polaroid pictures!

2 Likes