Moon Pie Sketchbook Page

Today I received a swap package and snack box of EPIC proportions from the amazing @irid3sc3nt :star_struck:

Yesterday I bought a brand new mixed media sketch book and supplies and instead of adding it to the pile of immaculately preserved brand new sketchbooks I actually was brave and started using it! :hugs:

Inspired by the delicious Moon Pie (something we don’t have here in Aus) I drew, inked and then coloured this picture.

I used my new Derwent Inktense pencils to do the colouring, as well as a touch of coloured pencils to add some shading to the moon’s face for dimension.

I hope to create a lot more pieces of art in the sketch book this year :hugs: Thanks for looking!

18 Likes

I love the whimsy of recreating a snack package as ~art~… it really looks like the original!

3 Likes

I love this. It’s a style that would make an awesome 4x6 piece for the current swap HINT HINT :smile:

1 Like

I like i! It’s so graphic and fun. An entire notebook full of sweets would be ah-maze-ing!

3 Likes

Ooh, it’s a terrific ATC theme too! I need to jump back into that swap

1 Like

First, CONGRATULATIONS for “breaking the seal” on the new sketchbook! And second, congratulations on such a good start on it with this lovely Moon Pie!

1 Like

This came out great! The Inktense pencils gave you that watercolor effect?

1 Like

Thank you everyone :hugs::hugs::hugs:

@Abbeeroad First I used a brush to wet the page. Then to avoid getting any grainy bits on the page I put the wet brush directly to the tip of the inktense pencil to pick up the colour, similarly to how you could pick up colour from the inktense blocks. I used some of the watercolour techniques learnt in Jemimah’s class, about letting each section dry before working on the next ‘touching’ colour to avoid bleeding.

2 Likes

I especially like the torn corner. Also, this has reminded me of the Baby-Sitters Club book where Claudia does a snack-food art show, which I hadn’t thought of in ages :grin: .

Yes and yes!

3 Likes

This! :point_up:

2 Likes

I love the open corner!

And I see Hammonds! I used to live near their factory in Denver. I’ve toured it multiple times :two_hearts:

1 Like

So much tasty inspiration! You did a great job shadowing the contours of the moon!

1 Like

Thank you! I clearly have no idea how these work…very cool!

I love how delicate the lines are and your amazing re-creation of the lettering.

Per the candy: I picked up what I could think of as being “American” or is still made in America. My husband was fairly horrified that I sent Abba-Zabba.

@Dooney That gift shop at the end, whoa. I have a great pic of my son in that shop.

2 Likes

gah! Yes! What a fantastic inadvertant homage! Long Live The BSC!

Great watercolor, @PrincessP !!