Mosaic Moths

For the 4x6 art swap I wanted to try a new technique. I love the look of mosaics but the only one I’ve made was over 20 years ago and it was a tiny, shoddy little trinket box top that isn’t that impressive. I wanted something with picture tiles in addition to glass in the mosaic. My answer: shrinky dinks topped with resin!

(My lighting is terrible in this pic, scroll to the bottom to see the last pic which has true colors)

And the usual bajillion process shots. Transfering my moth sketches to shrink plastic:

Colored with alcohol marker:

Adding resin (my resin is yellowish, but it added to the moth colors):

Assembling the mosaic. This took the longest as it’s like assembling a puzzle without a picture.

And finally grouting and polishing:

20 Likes

It’s actually glass? Wow, how cool! Very neat technique, so original.

1 Like

Shrink plastic with resin! BRILLIANT! This mosaic certainly is that impressive. Well done!

3 Likes

Well, this is a whole lot of impressive! The colors are perfect! It turned out really pretty!

1 Like

Awesome!
Love the beautiful details

1 Like

This is great! I haven’t done shrinky dink for years but remember it being so fun.

1 Like

Thank you, @Magpie, @Bunny1kenobi, @steiconi, @cindy, & @TheMistressT!

It came out so pretty! Love that you made the butterflies, too.

1 Like

How absolutely stunning! Those moths are simply amazing and adding resin to make them the same size as the mosaic is brilliant! LOVE!

1 Like

Wow! This is so cool! Great way to think outside the box and really make something special!

1 Like

Thank you, @Abbeeroad, @Kwality570, and @gozer!

1 Like

This is so beautiful, AND I love the technique you came up with. It worked perfectly to draw everything together; the moths really look like they belong with the glass. It all feels so balanced. Well done! :sparkling_heart: :cherry_blossom:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like