Mr. Saru from Star Trek: Discovery

There’s a sci-fi space art show coming up and I decided to recreate my Saru from my sketchbook onto an art board for the show. The background didn’t go as planned, but I’m still really happy with the way this turned out. I traced my original drawing on tracing paper and then blacked it out with graphite. Then I traced over it again on the right side to transfer to my art board. I would normally use some kind of light box, but since it was on board, I had to do it the old fashioned way.

If you didn’t know, Saru is a Kelpian from Star Trek: Discovery. He’s my favorite character from that show.

Watercolor and crayon, however the board wasn’t as textured so you can’t see the crayon as well.

16 Likes

Your portraits are always so wonderful & this is no exception! Incredible shading.

1 Like

You’re really captured Saru! I am two seasons behind on Discovery. I am waiting for S2 of Picard to wrap up before signing up for the streaming service again then I will binge Discovery, Picard, and Below Decks!

2 Likes

Wow, you did an amazing job on Saru!

2 Likes

Discovery just gets better. I haven’t watched any Picard this season. I wanna watch from the beginning again first. Lower Decks is a real treat.

1 Like

I am super excited! Despite not watching, I still listen to a recap podcast about all of them, so I can tell I’m going to love it. My memory isn’t good enough (and I don’t listen closely enough) for there to be any real spoilers.

2 Likes

Love your style. It is so destructive and fun. I think it turned out great. The background is cool. Have fun with the show! Let us know how it goes.

2 Likes

I love ST and knew exactly who this was. Your rendering is on point! And I love you used an old school method to transfer. Still an effective choice!

2 Likes

Great work as always! I love your style!!!

3 Likes

Your style is so distinctive! And I love this!!!

2 Likes

I knew who it was immediately!

2 Likes