COMPLETE - Mug Rug Swap Round 2 (s/o 3/31) - GALLERY

Yay! So happy he likes it. Super straight lines are not my usual jam but I tried hard to closely replicate a vintage design. Fun we both made mountain themes for each other’s guys :grin:

4 Likes

Love how you used the brown fabric so strategically, @Magpie. It is cool that it runs in different directions on the different mountains, and on the binding, it looks like wood. Very cool!

5 Likes

OK, the top post should be updated with the latest information! Let me know if anything is amiss. I’m so excited everyone has sent! :slight_smile:

Love the felted rug by @Annchen and the poppies are a beautiful touch! The houses by @AIMR are so adorable! I LOVE that spiral on the back!

2 Likes

So excited to see the remaining mug rugs…but, ugh, the wait is killing me!

2 Likes

@AIMR, I love the ‘scribble stitching’ technique you used! It adds so much detail and character to the mug rug. I really like the circle on the back too!

@Annchen, what a neat and creative mug rug! I was wondering what techniques people might use for non-fabric mug rugs. I especially like the added pop of color from the poppies!

@Magpie, you nailed it with your mug rug! You definitely created a vintage vibe and I am in full agreement with everything @endymion said about your usage of the brown fabric and your stitching right along the edge of those letters looks perfect!

3 Likes

I received the most AWESOME snail :snail: :snail: :snail: mug rug. I will post pictures later. Jennie, thank you for this amazing treasure. I love it.

4 Likes

Whoops, wrong thread. Lol, I was trying to figure out if there had recently been a snail inspiration pic that MistressJennie incorporated into a mug rug.

3 Likes

I moved it to the right place! :laughing: Thanks for the heads up!

3 Likes

I’m so glad it arrived safely, and that you like it!

2 Likes

@AudiobookLover and @Abbeeroad thanks for catching my mistake. I thought I was sending a private message. Man, I am a hot mess. Anyway, let’s get to the goods!

@MistressJennie apologized several times about sending late. There was no need because a) life happens and b) I would have waited twice as long for this amazing rug! Just look at it! A gorgeous snail, dimensional flowers and leaves, and bi-color fringe. It is awesome. Thank you, MistressJennie!

13 Likes

Oh, get outta here. That snail! Those snaily lips, oh my gosh, come on now. This is epic.

3 Likes

I know, right?? It is amazing!

3 Likes

Oh, super cute! Love the stripy fringe.

2 Likes

Thank you guys! I was really nervous, but had wanted to try mosaic crochet for awhile now. So of course instead of a nice 2-color pattern (as mosaic is designed for), I had to go for my first attempt with a multi color design that changes mid row a bunch of times. LOL I’ve also never done fringe like that. Overall, it made a big mug rug, but I justified it in my mind, that the dimensional leaves and flowers are places that a mug won’t fit, so it needed ‘room’ for the mug.

The pattern was from at Etsy seller, and should have been a square, but I shortened it after finishing the snail. Now I want to try some of her other patterns. Including a mushroom one that was calling my name…

7 Likes

Bravo to you for trying out a new technique! A mug rug is a perfect size to experiment. Love the addition of the flowers to an already cute pattern. The fringe is also nice…was it just twisting two pieces together and knotting?

4 Likes

What an amazing mug rug from @MistressJennie! Hard to believe this is your first time trying mosaic crochet! :exploding_head: I love the added flowers and the fringe-y edge!

3 Likes

This is literally like a little rug with that fringe hanging off the sides. What an impressive creation for your first time trying a new technique!

4 Likes

You twist each of the two strands individually, in the direction of the yarn’s natural spin. Then you hold the two twisted strands together, and twist in the opposite direction, and they just hold to one another, and you can knot them. I watched a short tutorial on YouTube.

It’s perfect to use on Mosaic patterns, because you crochet from the same side on every row. So you do your first row, then, instead of turning as you usually would, you go back and start a new row in the second color, from the same starting edge. This means that every single row you start a new yarn, and therefore have ends to weave in on both sides of every single row.

4 Likes

I received my mug rug from @Magpie and I love it so so much At the moment I’m with my parents so hubby had to pick it up from the PO but I asked him to take a picture because I couldn’t wait to see it.
In the happy mail craftalong Tisha and I discovered that we both love beet root so she made this absolutely beautiful beet root mug rug. She used free motion stitching for the first time which is just perfect I think.
Thank you so much @Magpie! I can’t wait to use the mug rug for my afternoon tea :tea:
Oh, and Tisha also included two of her cute carrot bags for my kiddos.

11 Likes

Oh my goodness! All that stitching…swoon!! I enlarged the pic and zoomed in for better viewing. It’s amazing! Love the white accents.

3 Likes