Murray the Monster

I created this monster for @endymion in the Use What You Have Swap. When we were cleaning at my parent’s house years ago, I found an old clock with frayed wires that had been sitting for years in their shed. I took it home, gutted it, cleaned it up and it sat in my craft room on the shelf for years until the opportunity to use it presented itself. Endymion had retro on her theme list and when I read it, I instantly knew it had to become a frame.
Here’s the photo from Endymion because I forgot to take a decent photo before I sent it:

and a photo of the side so you can see the raised bubble:

I used gelli prints, marker, gelly roll pens, posca markers, and goosebumps spray to bring Murray to life. :heart:

20 Likes

This is so, so cool!!

2 Likes

I feel so lucky to have received this in the swap. It has such amazing presence and personality with the unique frame. I love it so much!!!

8 Likes

Awww, Murray… you’re timeless!

4 Likes

Phenomenal!
I cannot believe how you repurposed what could have been in a junk pile into a work of art!
WOW
(Also, what is goosebumps spray?)

5 Likes

What a fantastic find. I love the chipped paint and red color of the frame. The bubble glass gives it a that retro space age feel. Murray fits perfectly with the aesthetic with his deep jewel colors. Very cool!

3 Likes

It looks like the old clock was custom made for Murray. Love the combination of the vibrant monster and the distressed painted metal. And that bubble! :star_struck:

4 Likes

Goosebumps spray is a shiny, water-based texturing spray that I actually drip out and use a fine paintbrush to go over the outlines. It works really well and dries quickly!

5 Likes

OH MY GOODNESS another amazing Kwality Monster !!

Murray has a rhinoceros vibe, I think.

5 Likes

This is so incredibly cool! I mean, a Kwality monster AND a vintage clock!?!!? swoon

5 Likes

I love Murray so much!! He looks like Eddie’s troublemaking younger brother :joy:

4 Likes

OMG! Yes! He does!

3 Likes

Murray is the cutest!

3 Likes

At first I thought he was in a submarine looking out, but with that red color clearly he’s in a rocket ship. So cool!

5 Likes

This was teh perfect project for the clock frame. Murray looks fantastic. The textures of your art pair well with the unique frame. And of course, he is adorable. :green_heart:

2 Likes

Very interesting!

1 Like

I love how you explore the unexpected potential of various items and then create something amazing! This is such a fun and unique piece!

2 Likes