My beautiful new ancient spinning wheel

Spinning wheel! My aunt brought me a spinning wheel!

A 135 year old beautiful machine that was being used by the owner until she moved to a long term care facility. I want to find her & thank her & let her know I’ll take good care of this pretty thing. And also learn to use it.
Got any tips? What even is all this stuff?

25 Likes

Oh my gosh you lucky duck!! I have no clue about them but i love it and i’m SO. EXCITED. for you!!

3 Likes

This is magical!

2 Likes

I’m flabbergasted for you! Woah! What a treasure!

2 Likes

Woweee wow wow!!! I’m so excited for you! Wish I had some tips.

2 Likes

She was nervous I wouldn’t want it & she’d have wasted $30 :flushed:
This is actually one of those items on what I call my “Life List”, as in, I would like this thing in my lifetime. Pretty stoked about it.

Here’s the mid-century modern chair we are sacrificing to create space in the livingroom.

Hee, something funny. DCT and my sister are good friends and colleagues so it was a natch we all started singing Spinning Wheel in the street when my aunt took that thing out of her car trunk, haha. What a hoot!

1 Like

Congrats! I can likely answer a lot of your questions regarding your gorgeous new wheel. And if I can’t, there is a great Facebook group for antique wheels and fiber equipment.

4 Likes

Oh wow! My mom has a spinning wheel but I only ever learned how to do drop spinning (and only while in the fourth grade!). I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen the wheel being used. Good luck!

3 Likes

Congratulations and have fun!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the offer, once this is set up & I’ve got some roving, I’ll be full of questions! I’d like to order a copy of @Belladune’s Trifecta book but have a feeling I’ll need some beginner instructions to start.

1 Like

Beautiful!!! And actually, this is funny, but my aunt bought me an antique spinning wheel too!! Haha! I’ll have to keep an eye out here to learn about it!

1 Like

Ooh, weird & cool! Did you also all burst into song? I got a real unique fam so maybe not, lol.

1 Like

Hahaha, no, we did not. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: what song?? XD

1 Like

Click the link above, pretty sure you will recognize the song & maybe even be able to sing along!

Wow! What a gorgeous piece! And for only $30? What a deal!

I look forward to seeing your progress as you learn how to use it!

1 Like

My beautiful, wonderful, beloved Aunt passed away. 66, so young, only 15 years older than me.

Her last wishes for us all was that we not wait to do the things we want to do, that we go out and have the grand adventures of our dreams.
I’m taking her instructions to heart.
We’ve been thinking about a big move & now we’re getting serious about it. And that will mean downsizing.

All my life has been a struggle to balance stash against creativity because, honestly, sometimes too much stuff is more of a hindrance than a help. I’ve been asking myself, at this stage in my life, what do I really, really want to do?
The list is actually surprisingly short. And spinning isn’t realistically on it so I decided to donate the wheel to our local guild. They are very happy to have it and I am so grateful for this last lesson from my Aunt about being honest with myself, making hard choices, knowing what to hold onto & what to let go.
I embrace the future free of regrets.
I look forward to what is to come.
I am ready for the next grand adventure :blue_heart:

6 Likes

I hope your move is smooth and successful. Downsizing can be a blessing and a curse at the same time. I just did it and I’m still finding that certain things just have to go in order for our space to be comfortable.

2 Likes