My first finished project

This isn’t my first project, but it’s my first completed one(minus some paint detailing)!
It’s also only made of wood and wood glue. It was before I started working with clay.
Any critiques welcome!!

22 Likes

Congrats on completing your project! It’s very nice; lots of interesting detail.

Did you put it together using found wooden objects? Or maybe did you do some carving? Hard to tell from the photo-wish I could see other angles.

2 Likes

Makar

This is the image that I used. It’s from the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

This little guy’s name is Makar

I used balsa wood for the body. Regular 2x4 lumber for the body of the cello. The neck and the bow are literally twigs I found on the ground. The little berries on the bow are sawdust and wood glue. The leaf face is also lumber. Every part of this is drawn out and sanded down to shape. The only thing I’m not satisfied with is the paint job I did. I’m not a painter. Lol. I meant to add all of this but I uploaded this right as my break happened. Thank you for the comment! I hope to hear from you again.

5 Likes

Very cool!!

2 Likes

I’m so impressed you sanded and sculpted all those pieces by hand! Very cool. And excellent likeness; I’ll bet my son would go nuts for it if he saw it. He’s a huge Zelda fan.

3 Likes

This is soooo cool! Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

@endymion, maybe one of these days I could make something for your son. But for now I’ve already got myself bogged down with a whole list of projects. This one was relatively easy for me. Maybe 30 hours put into it (keep in mind I’ve just figured out I’m capable of doing this, haha) but my current project is way more challenging and and I’ve already got about 70 hours put into it. And I’ve probably got another 30 to go. If you have any advice for me, I’d love to hear it!

3 Likes

It’s really great. I love the slightly anxious expression in his face.

Welcome to this forum, you’ll find that is a really friendly and supportive corner of the interwebs.

2 Likes

@Edel, thank you! I’ve quickly noticed how nice everyone is on here. But don’t ever be afraid to give me any constructive criticism.

1 Like

Welcome to Lettuce Craft, Clay! I think it came out great!

2 Likes

This is really cute.

2 Likes

So cute and very well done! I love it, it has such personality.

2 Likes

You captured so many of the details from the original image. I think it’s great! And I love that you used twigs picked up off the ground in addition to the carved pieces!

2 Likes

it looks just like the picture you used a reference! great job!

2 Likes

Thank you all for the compliments! @geekgirl I also used some images from the game to get the official shape. But those images are boring :wink: @grenouille78 gotta do what you gotta do! I think it definitely adds more personality if you can add a little nature to it.

2 Likes

I like it. The thing playing the instrument reminded me of Korok from Zelda’s Beath of the Wild.

1 Like

@GeekyBookworm, lol I think that’s Makar, himself! I just looked it up.

1 Like

Hi there! Welcome! This is great! This is all made of wood? As in you WIDDLED IT? :open_mouth: holy cow! That’s amazing. All I gotta say is I want to see more pictures!

2 Likes

@RagingSloth, technically there’s no widdling involved. Unless you count using a saw and sand paper widdling lol. It’s made in several pieces. Though I don’t think I took pictures in the early stages, I do have some:

I hope you like the pictures.

5 Likes

Pish posh… whittled, carved, altered from it’s original tree shape, close enough. :wink: That is awesome. Thank you for the progress pictures.

3 Likes