My First Steampunk Outfit

I used a the ‘wrong side’ of thrifted Chinese-style robe for the jacket (with the original buttons & loops) & the bustle. The corset was purchased and modified slightly (I replaced the black ribbon edging & lacing with blue and added a bit of lace on the top of the bodice.) I also purchased the opera glasses. The skirt & chain belt were also thrifted. The pin is vintage, from my mother’s vast collection.

The accessories, because steampunk is all about the accessories:

The shoulder strap on the purse was cut to make the loops and the corset’s matching g-string covers the flap!

The necklace, earrings, flask holder and bustle ‘pillow’ were me-made.

The pocket watch started out as a solid perfume locket, it now has a leather lining & a working watch.

I also steam-punked a fascinator, gun and, of course, goggles.

18 Likes

Wow, so super cool! Everything works so well together, too. Is there an event coming up that will give you a reason to wear it “out in the world” and collect compliments on it? It’s really great!

1 Like

What an amazing ensemble!

1 Like

This is fabulous

1 Like

So fun!! I’m sure you will rock it.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind comments.

I started it for a Comic-Con in the ‘before times’ - you know, when going into a packed conference centre was no big deal. But my God-daughter scheduled the gender revel for her first child on the same day, so it was moved to the ‘not a priority’ pile.

I finally finished it in the early days of the pandemic, to be ready for Comic-Con in May '20! That didn’t happen… or Comic-Con '21… I finally wore it to a small steampunk gathering. And to a Halloween party last year, where only one person had ever heard of steampunk.

I am on the lookout for upcoming events, not sure my nephew would want me to turn up at his wedding in it!

1 Like

This is steampunk at its finest. Your finishing touches really make this amazing.

1 Like