My Grandmother's Straw Hat Wreath

This was my grandmother’s hat - I recall seeing a photo of her wearing it, probably in the 1920s. I reinforced a few spots with Aida cloth and glued trim on the broken rim, then added removable ‘accessories’. Everything is from stash - some of my mothers’ many fake flowers, bug pins and my twill tape, trim and butterfly stickers. At some point, I will make some butterflies to replace the stickers and attempt to steam out more of the ‘wonkiness’.

The before:

25 Likes

What a great way to freshen up an heirloom hat!

2 Likes

Lovely repurpose and way to remember your grandma! You have so many decorating options with it…it is lovely as it, but with flowers or trims to match the seasons, you will always have a beautiful wreath at the ready!

2 Likes

I’ve never thought of using a hat as a wreath type decoration. What a great idea for using it and remembering your grandmother.

2 Likes

What a pretty decoration! I think your grandmother would be very pleased with what you’ve done with the hat.

1 Like

What a fun and creative way to repurpose her hat! The little bugs are a fun touch and with the trim on the brim covers up those worn edges nicely.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m sure I saw it on Pinterest - at last something came of the hours spent there! (OK, a few ideas came from Pinterest, but not proportional to the time scrolling!)

1 Like

I really like the bugs pins too. It’s ironic, because my grandmother hated bugs and I suspect my own bug phobia can be traced back to summers spent with her at the cottage, where there were bugs galore!

2 Likes

There is so much to love about this project! It’s really a cool door decoration, but then with the back story it’s really delightful! I love that you can switch up the “accessories” to suit the season or your whims.

1 Like

Aw! I love this project!! :heart:

1 Like

I’m amazed at what fabulous condition it’s in, 100 years or so later. What you’ve done with it is beautiful, and a lovely remembrance.

1 Like

:bell: :bell: :bell: Ding, ding, ding! Congratulations! Your cool craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :bell: :bell: :bell:

2 Likes

It turned out so pretty and I love the little bug!

1 Like

What a gorgeous item for decoration. I never would have thought to upcycle and repurpose a hat like that. Great touches with the little butterflies and bugs.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments!

It looks so refreshed! Great job on saving an heirloom.

1 Like

My favourite bit is that bug, what an excellent detail. So fun!

1 Like

Thanks! It’s a bit cheeky, as my maternal grandmother was from England and she never got used to the bugs here. My mother, on the other hand, would squish bugs with her finger. I definitely take after my grandmother in this regard!

1 Like