My Only Hope - A Star Wars Costume

Our friends threw a Halloween party with the theme “favorite character from a movie,” and my DH chose to be Obi-Wan Kenobi.

We already had a Jedi robe from a costume I made 13 years ago that just needed to be properly hemmed, and I still had the pattern (Simplicity 5840) for the rest of the costume in my stash. The pattern did not have the tabards, so that was improvised from cotton gauze. The belt was also improvised using reference pictures from the films and belts that other cosplayers had made.

The tunic is linen, the obi and tabards are cotton gauze, and the robe is cotton twill. The belt and pouch are leather, with a custom buckle, and metal hardware. The undershirt, pants, and boots are all purchased. DH 3D-printed the metallic capsules for his belt. The light saber is DS1’s that he made at Disney this year.

19 Likes

I love this!! That belt is EPIC!!

2 Likes

Thank you! There are some Etsy artists who make them, as well (and theirs are so much nicer!), if you don’t want to do all the work. Probably cheaper to just buy one, when it’s all said and done. :joy: But, it was fun to make.

2 Likes

Dang! Such great details to really nail the look! And so resourceful! NICE!

1 Like

wow! Great job on this!!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Isn’t that the way of the crafter? "I’m not going to buy it, I could make that!!

This looks so cool and definitely fun to make!

1 Like

Wow, amazing! Turned out great!

1 Like

Thank you!

Oooh! Extra nice touches.

2 Likes

Excellent! The extra touches really make such a huge difference!

1 Like

Thank you! I loved making it.

1 Like

This came out so amazingly!

1 Like

That looks like it came straight outta the movies! Fantastic job!

1 Like

Thank you! If there’s anything I’ve learned in the last 20+ years of sewing, it’s that the fabric can really make or break the costume. I’ve never regretted splurging on the good stuff (still grabbed most on sale and with coupons, lol).

2 Likes

Amazing job! You’ve got some amazing craft force going on there :relaxed:

1 Like

I love it! The Star Wars belts are all so complicated (I learned that myself this year). You did a great job with yours, and with the rest of the costume too!

1 Like

Thank you! It wasn’t so bad, really. It was just really nice, thick leather. I only had one shot at it (measure twice, cut/punch once) and it wasn’t easy to punch all those holes, though. I was so afraid of making a mistake and had to take it one tiny step at a time.

1 Like