My Seed Bead Journey

Thank yoouu!

And yes Minnesota is beautiful! I spend all day in the woods outside when it’s nice out. Definitely go in summer though. Our winters are awful. :sob::rofl:

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I’m glad I inspired you! One thing about the bread loom is how quickly you can make a bracelet in comparison to brick or peyote stitching. It’s lovely. My advice is to make sure to use good-quality bead thread. I use WildFire or Fireline thermal bonded. It is cheaper to get it as fishing line and at Walmart otherwise it’s a bit expensive. At the very least don’t use like cotton thread or something.

2 Likes

Thank you, Hon! This thread is really making me feel better about the necklace. Since it’s entirely my design I was nervous about it and about whether my mom would wear it.

1 Like

Oh wow thanks! It’s nice to hear I have a knack for designing. :astonished::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I appreciate it!

Thank yoouu!

Thanks so much! I was trying to make something very personal. I have this magical book where they explain making jewelry extra personalized to people and I wanted to make something like that with lots of magic & love poured into it.

1 Like

I love all of these!!! The moth earrings are the most “my style” and the length is perfect.

1 Like

Very cool! What’s the book called? Sounds like a good one.

1 Like

Thanks! My friend, Staci, saw them and immediately asked to buy them from me. :flushed: Pretty flattering. I’m always surprised when people want to buy my art even though I’ve sold a lot at this point.

1 Like

It’s called “Enchanted Adornments” by Cynthia Thornton.

It’s super magical and instead of just explaining that she “made this for my aunt” she makes up magical stories and explains the process of making for the creature or person in the story. It’s great!

I was sort of inspired by these two:

And

She uses a lot of different techniques. I’m going to eventually try dabbling in precious metal clay (I found a book on it at my thrift store!) which she uses a lot in the book but I’ll have to get one of those microwave kilns which is the only way I could see being able to do it. I’ve also looked into making a kiln or making a forge. It’s a dream at least.

2 Likes

Ah, cool! I’ve always wanted to try PMC too. And glass fusing, let’s be real. I’d get a little kiln.

1 Like

Lol and I just realized the Magpie necklace… And you’re Magpie. :laughing:

1 Like

Totally noted. Book’s added to my wish list :feather: :open_book:

1 Like

I spent many summers going to the lake(s) in Minnesota. It is beautiful and so much fun. Most beautiful airport view was watching bald eagles at the Duluth airport. We weren’t allowed to bring rocks back home.

1 Like

How come you couldn’t bring rocks back home? Like your parents wouldn’t allow it? Or you were at a state park or something? We actually don’t even have to go to Duluth to see the bald eagles. I saw one on Friday in Minneapolis just walking a dog by a pond. :heart_eyes: They’re just everywhere now. It’s really wonderful. My dad said that especially raptors were not very prevalent a while back because of a specific chemical they were using that caused egg shells to break but they got rid of that chemical, thankfully. I can’t even imagine. Birds are such a big part of my life so not seeing hawks/eagles/owls everywhere would be heartbreaking.

We stayed at state parks or on other family members properties and our pop-up camper was swept frequently. We camped at Detroit Lakes (in the 80’s), Norway Beach in the Chippewa NTL Forest, Turtle Lake, Maple Lake, Lakes Henry & Thompson on the reservation. I am glad those chemicals got banned, very dangerous stuff. I have a CD called Loon Talk for meditation.

1 Like

Love your bead work! Something I’ve always wanted to do… maybe a loom needs to be in my future! Your necklace is really cool, too! Clearly a labor of love!

1 Like

I love beadwork, but it kills my eyes. Your fourth attempt is stunning. They are all fantastic, but that one was my favorite.

2 Likes

@bunny Thanks so much, Dear! I recommend the bead loom for sure! I don’t think they’re too expensive and they’re very easy to work with. I even saw one at Five Below ($5) the other day!

@gozer thanks! lol how does it kill your eyes? Is it kind of like a optical illusion?

2 Likes

The beads are so tiny! I have terrible eyes.

1 Like