Mythbusting Magpie Merit Badge (in felt)

I made this back in June for @Magpie in the Felt Badge Swap. Included in the list of themes was rainbows and magpies. Since I know how much Magpie LOVES rainbow everything, I really wanted to do something rainbow. But I also thought that doing something with the Australian magpie would be cool for Magpie to add to her mischief of magpies.

A comment made by Magpie on the swap discussion thread that “magpies actually don’t collect shiny things and it’s a myth” made me think about her theme of merit badge…

Behold the mythbuster merit badge!

26 Likes

Ooh, that’s fantastic! Lovely stitching, and perfect for Magpie!

1 Like

I was just looking at this on my desk last night!
The teeny wee feet are just darling, but I love everything about it.

1 Like

Super cute mythbusting! Totally turned its back on those sequins/coins.

1 Like

Cute!! Perfect for @magpie!

1 Like

This is so detailed and wonderful. I love the sequin gold!

1 Like

I love that you used sequins for coins. The U.S. magpies have an annoying call. I’m mostly mad because they woke me up on vacation in New Mexico. Bickering outside the window at 6am or some ungodly morning hour.

1 Like

What a cute little badge!!! I love it.

1 Like

Thanks so much everyone! It was fun to make!

@irid3sc3nt - Australian magpies have pretty song, but it’s still pretty annoying early in the morning! :smile:

1 Like

Awesome badge! When I lived in eastern Washington state to go to college, there were magpies everywhere. I don’t think I’d ever seen one before. I really started to love them when they’d walk up to our apartment door and knock to drive our cat insane. They’d then stand in the yard and mock him as he’d angrily chatter at them from the window. We could always tell it was the magpies knocking. Your badge is amazing!

3 Likes

Ooh, so gorgeous!

1 Like

I love this! So cute! How big are badges normally?

1 Like

I don’t know if there is an official size, but the two I got in the Felt Badge Swap were probably no more than 2 1/2 - 3"

1 Like

This is so perfect for her! Love the way you added texture and feathers to the wings with embroidery, and more texture and sparkle with the sequence gold!

2 Likes

It’s so fantastic everybody loves this badge as much as I do!

1 Like

the stitching on the bird really gives it character!

1 Like

I love your interpretation of the themes! And the use of the sequins was brilliant! You did an amazing job of transforming the felt from the second pic into the super fun and detailed badge of the first pic!

1 Like

Thanks so much everyone!

1 Like