Necchi sewing machine from the 50s/60s

Hi there! Has anyone ever used a Necchi sewing machine? My gran had one (when my mum was a kid so definitely 60s, but maybe a bit earlier) and my mums older sister has graciously (insert sarcasm) has let have if I want it.

It’s hidden in its case in a currently inaccessible pile of ‘stuff’, so I haven’t looked at it and I have no idea if it works. I may have it regardless if it works, but I’d be interested to know if it’s considered a good machine.

Once I get to look at it I will post pictures and details.on the model.

1 Like

I’d never heard of the brand at all, but in general older machines can often be fixed if they’re broken, because all parts are mechanical. Google tells me older Nechhi machines are pretty and some models are apparantly quite valuable.

1 Like

I learned on a Nechhi straight stitch! They are wonderful machines usually a true power horse!

2 Likes

Necchi’s are good machines! I learned how to sew on one!

2 Likes

It’s junk, you don’t want to waste time on it.
Send it to me, I’ll get rid of it for you.
:grinning:

4 Likes

Thanks for your info. I kinda figured it was a workhorse, my gran wouldn’t have had it any other way. Good to know others’ experiences though.

Now I can’t wait to get a look at it!

1 Like

Its likely one that was still made in the Nechhi Italian manufacturing plant. They sell them still Janome bought them out but they have changed place of manufacturing and the quality isn’t the same anymore. I miss my nechhi but I moved to much to lug mine about and it really need its own room! Can’t wait for you to try it out you’ll have to report back to us!

2 Likes

I have never heard of this brand, but reading the thread has me super excited for you! I hope you’ll share a pic of her when you get her out of that pile of stuff.

2 Likes

I’m excited too! I think I am going to have to just go and dig it out!

2 Likes

I got her!

5 Likes

shes beautiful! A little mighty tank!

1 Like

Eep! Love! Take her in for servicing and maintenance advice & you will have a faithful friend for life!

3 Likes

She’s beautiful!!!

I plugged her in and she works! Even the light still works! Now to work out where the thread goes.

I had a bit more of a google, now I know that it is a Necchi Supernova. They were made in 1954 and won the Compasso D’oro, which is a design award in Italy. It was also sponsored by Sophia Loren.

3 Likes

We found the box with all the cams and feet! And the manual!

2 Likes