Nerd Games Discussion Thread

The Nerd Games specific swap didn’t get voted through. Does anyone have an idea of something we can do this season for something simple and fun? Next season we have the raffle!

1 Like

I sent you a message, SBC!

3 Likes

Oh, Im so sorry, I totally missed the polls deadline! :broken_heart:

1 Like

I’ve been trying to think of something all day, but no good ideas brewing. I’m super curious what bunny’s idea is!

1 Like

@Bunny1kenobi suggested something to do with Random Acts of kindness week in February. I love the idea, I’m just not sure what we can do with that. I’m thinking with the raffle coming up next season, if you a person crafts something and donates to charity, they get five bonus raffle tickets?

I have no idea what limitations charities are putting on donations currently, but I’m sure plenty are still taking donations. I love the idea of as many of us as possible donating something to somewhere, whether for practical use (maybe backpacks to foster care programs or the Little Red Schoolhouse type projects), or a donation for a yearly raffle to help earn money (like to an animal shelter or local theatre).

Everyone else like this idea?

2 Likes

TRACKING UPDATE!

So far this season, we have 12 active players! A total of 47 projects have been posted, including 3 big time projects, and 1 research project!

Here is where each team stands currently:

Team Players Projects Points Average
Running with Scissors 2 12 440 220
Knotty by Nature 3 11 360 120
Paletteable Art 2 9 330 165
Bits and Bobs 5 14 490 98

Battle Royale Results:

January # Results
Blizzard 9 WINNER!
Sleet 1
February # Results
TBD
TBD
March # Results
TBD
TBD

You can find your individual tracking sheet and the team roster here

As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me! Craft on, Nerds! :nerd_face:

3 Likes

February Prompts are up!

Battle: Reduce vs Reuse!

February theme:
Eco-Friendly - More amazing prompts from @craftADDchick! Thank you so much!

• Solar-something yellow, round, or that protects you from the elements
  • Wind- something that moves, is very light, or is transparent
  • Hydro- something that uses water, can be found around the world, or is necessary
  • Geothermal- something that uses heat, is inside of something else, or is made with natural materials
  • Biomass- something edible, green, or something that can be changed into something else
4 Likes

Great prompt ideas! @craftADDchick and @Smeddley!

3 Likes

Awesome prompts. Thank you so much.

2 Likes

Great pic of Monkey, and thanks for the update!

1 Like

Psst… wrong thread ( this is discussion) :wink:

1 Like

Aww, shoot. Thanks!

2 Likes

I posted something in the wrong thread the other day- somehow, while I was typing a relpy, I got shifted to a new post, and it posted in the wrong spot. Either that, or my brain is just tired!

2 Likes

Want more of a chance to win those sweet, sweet raffle prizes? Here’s a way to get some extra tickets!

SPECIAL BONUS RAFFLE TICKET OPPORTUNITY!
Random Acts of Kindness - if you make and donate an item to charity, please note it when you post the project for an extra FIVE (5) raffle tickets!

2 Likes

Thanks, @Smeddley! And thank you @Bunny1kenobi for suggesting doing something for charity.

To be clear, this isn’t a specific prompt. This is just a bonus to get you five extra raffle tickets for the Spring Raffle!

You can donate anything to any charity you’d like. In the spirit of giving, it doesn’t even have to be crafted. If you do craft something to donate, make sure to emphasize it’s for the raffle bonus along with your normal prompt info. If you aren’t crafting for the prompt (like maybe you’re donating food to the food bank), submit a photo of your random act of kindness with a note that it’s for your bonus raffle tickets, and I’ll make sure you get your bonus tickets!

You can complete this bonus opportunity any time between now and the last day of March.

4 Likes

I fully expect to wake up tomorrow to no power (and no heat, as a result), so I have printed out my list of Nerd Games prompts and assigned projects to see what I can still make without power. I have 10 projects listed that I can make! Of course, I won’t be able to get them all finished tomorrow, but at least I’ll have something to do :slight_smile:

I do, of course, have dozens of projects I could make without using any electricity, but those don’t fit the prompts :laughing:

ETA: So, apparently, I never actually hit the “Reply” button on this post. And, obviously now, I didn’t lose power. But, the icing wasn’t nearly as bad as I was worried it would be. Since I gathered up some supplies for my “power outage” crafting, that’ll be my focus today.

4 Likes

I’m glad to hear things weren’t as bad as expected for you! We lost power around 8 pm last night and the roads are awful so now I am rescheduling (again) my sinus surgery! Luckily we have a generator and a kerosene heater, so we have some power and the house is warmed up in the living area! I was able to take some pretty icy bird pictures and order another set of prints (yep, I’m obsessed!) as well as order more fabric for my mountain quilt. The Etsy shop I was ordering from finally had white and black in stock. They were low on one shade of green, but that is okay, I’m sure I’ll be able to get that at another time, but I wanted to have the white and black when I ordered for sure. Have fun with your “power outage” crafting today! I may paint some backgrounds for more bird cards with the set I just purchased from prints from my old camera.

3 Likes

That stinks that you lost power, but at least you were prepared! I don’t have a generator, yet, but I really should invest in one (I do have a Coleman stove & fuel). I just know that it’ll be more expensive than the cost of the generator because I’m sure that any electrician worth their salt will recommend an upgrade to my electrical “system.”

In the 2008 ice storm, I ended up gettiing a new oil burner (insurance paid for most of it)- I had no power for days, and stayed with family, and we drained the water from the pipes before I left. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), the ancient, asbestos-covered, inefficient oil burner had a broken “low water” sensor, so when the power came back on, the oil burner fired up (empty of water), and cracked. When I returned home and turned the water back on, the boiler turned on, and the basement flooded up with hot, steamy water. So, I stayed with friends until the new boiler was installed (after some asbestos removal). It was quite an ordeal!

So, yes… I probably should pony up the $$ for a generator… especially because I live in an area that tends to get whacked whenever there is bad weather!

2 Likes

I wanted to let you all know I am still participating and have all my projects done for Feb, but they are swap items so I am waiting to post them. Sending 3 out today, but one is overseas. I am excited about more prompts! These Games mean so much to me. They keep me motivated and on track even when I don’t have swaps. Thank you all so much for this. I know I have been less active lately, but life got a bit hectic and I will be back.

4 Likes

TRACKING UPDATE!

Ack! Baby Monkey was four weeks old here, and this was his first photo shared one year ago as the new mascot. He only weighed 1.3 pounds then. He’s now over 13 pounds! Our little mascot is all grown up :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

So far this season, we have 12 active players! A total of 98 projects have been posted, including 12 big time projects, and 3 research projects!

Here is where each team stands currently:

Team Players Projects Points Average
Running with Scissors 2 25 1420 710
Knotty by Nature 3 21 620 206
Paletteable Art 2 13 450 225
Bits and Bobs 5 25 1040 208

Battle Royale Results:

January # Results
Blizzard 9 WINNER!
Sleet 1
February # Results
Reduce 6 WINNER!
Reuse 1
March # Results
TBD
TBD

You can find your individual tracking sheet and the team roster here

As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me! Craft on, Nerds! :nerd_face:

3 Likes