Nerd Games Discussion Thread

Thank you @gozer !
Iā€™ve finally read through the whole rules, etc. and the Nerd Games sound like so much fun!

I also looked at peopleā€™s projects, and I just love seeing all the creativity here. Itā€™s so wonderful how encouraging people are as well :heart:

I do think Iā€™ll join for the summer :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey everyone! Just a reminder to do your Crafty Scavenger Hunt! The items do not need to have been made this season! You only need to have submitted at least one project in the Spring to play!

3 Likes

Iā€™ll try to get the tracking done tonight, but it might not be until tomorrow. Weā€™re under a severe thunderstorm warning and the weather knocked out our internet. Itā€™s pretty impressive out there.

3 Likes

Be safe! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m really enjoying the detective theme this season! Iā€™m going to be team Sherlock when I get my first item completed and looking forward to trying to figure out the clues. :female_detective: Iā€™m thinking and planning out how to get a bingo line too! :thinking: Thanks to all of you for making these games fun and keeping them going! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ack! Moving house sadly derailed June for me. :sob:

I had so many plansā€¦
I didnā€™t even get my scavenger hunt done! I think I might have finished all the requirements for the wordy pin but my nerd games notebook is still AWOL in a box somewhere. So I canā€™t look it up and be certain.

But on the upside, Iā€™m out of state on a much-needed vacation (my first paid vacation in the history of ever)! :grin:

3 Likes

TRACKING UPDATE!

This season we had 10 active players! A total of 83 projects were posted.

Here is where each team stands:

Team Players Projects Points Average
Running with Scissors 3 33 1110 370
Knotty by Nature 3 24 880 293
Bits and Bobs 4 26 720 180

Congratulations to team Running With Scissors on your win!

And the monthly battle results are in!

April # Crafted Results
Foolish 4 WINNER!
Serious 3
May # Crafted Results
Artificial Turf 2 TIE!
Natural Grass 2 TIE!
June # Crafted Results
Solo 1
Teams 4 WINNER!

You can find your individual tracking sheet and the team roster here

Thank you so much @Smeddley for giving us fun monthly prompts to craft, and thank you to @LovelyMiss for the amazing opportunities to win prizes

Head on over to the Summer Games for more nerdy fun!

3 Likes

Hey yā€™all! I heard that Spring season got away from a lot of us. I have decided to add the pin events from last season into this season as well. That brings the total pins up for grabs this Summer to 11! You can combine any requirement progress you made in Spring to what you do this Summer to complete the Old School Pin Events.

4 Likes

I have a question about the pin challenge. Can one item count for 3 different challenges? For example, if I made somethingā€¦ lets say one of those Jayne hats from Firefly as a gift for someone, could I use that one item to complete these three prompts?

Multimedia:

1.) Submit a project based on a piece of media. (:white_check_mark: - fan hat from the show Firefly)

Fandom:

1.) Submit at least three projects this season that are based on/inspired by your or othersā€™ fandoms.
(:white_check_mark: - 2 other fandom items plus the hat from Firefly)

Randomizer:

1.) Complete a random act of craftiness (whatever that means to you) and submit it as a project for the current Nerd Games season. (:white_check_mark: - made it as a gift for someone)

Thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Absolutely! Use a project for as many things as you can! Same goes for BINGO! I actually try on purpose to write some event items so theyā€™ll pretty easily overlap.

4 Likes

Awesome! Thank you. Last season i was a mess. Lol

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got a few projects done over the holiday weekend, but I need to figure out the best categories for them.

2 Likes

Thank you!! Being in the midst of a move, the last season was a flop for me. And thanks for the info on overlapping! That certainly makes things easier!!!

1 Like

Ditto!

Although, Iā€™m not off to a great start for this season either. But, I do have a bunch of things that I made today. And, if I can find where I shoved it, a project Iā€™m almost finished with.

School ended with a mad rush of activities, and then I had a 2-week trip to Iceland & Greenland. Iā€™ve been home almost 2 weeks, but last week I was in ā€œrecovery modeā€ and this week Iā€™ve been visiting family and friends. Iā€™ll have time this weekend to complete a couple of projects, I hope, so I can stay on track!

3 Likes

Your trip sounds worth the chaos!

1 Like

It absolutely was! :smile:

1 Like

August story/prompts are posted!

4 Likes

ANNOUNCING FALL EVENT!

Nerd Games Junk Journal Event

Want to try out junk journaling? Now is the time!

Make a junk journal during the Fall 2023 Nerd Games season and youā€™ll be entered into a drawing to win an Amazon gift card! (Winner will be drawn after the season ends and gift card will be sent electronically. Winner must provide an email address for delivery.)

Iā€™m putting together a tutorial post to share my favorite junk journaling tips and ideas, which will be ready by Fall. There are so many ways to make junk journals and they can be as simple or as elaborate as youā€™d like. Iā€™ll be sure to share the post when itā€™s ready so you can start thinking of ideas!

Use your own supplies, or if you need supplies, read below!

Need supplies?

I have 10 junk journal making kits to send to Nerd Games players who want to try out junk journaling and who will commit to posting their finished journal by the end of the Fall season (December 31, 2023). Due to cost, kits can only be shipped to the USA. I will announce/close the requests once all kits are claimed.

Kits are available to the first 10 people who submit the form below. You must have played in at least one season of the Nerd Games prior to Fall 2023 to request a kit (the current Summer season counts).

Kits include:

• A book cover

• Materials for binding

• Various papers for pages

• Ephemera and embellishments for decoration

• Awl

• Glue stick

Paper elements will be a mix of mostly new and some vintage materials. Each kit will be unique with some shared common elements.

Youā€™ll need to provide your own:

• Scissors and/or paper trimmer

Optional items:

• Tape roller or glue dots

• Gesso

• Other papers and embellishments you want to use

• Other tools (e.g., bone folder, others to embellish pages, like a sewing machine, paper punches, etc.)

I need to receive requests before Saturday, September 2, 2023 to ensure there is enough time to prepare the kits and have them to players early next season. My goal is for them to arrive by October 15. (If you are receiving physical rewards from this season, I will be combining shipping and sending everything together.)

PM me the form below before Saturday, September 2, 2023.

Junk Journal Kit Request Form:

I will use my kit to make a junk journal and to post the finished project in the Fall Nerd Games 2023 thread: (Yes/No)

Is there anything youā€™d be really jazzed to receive in terms of paper or ephemera, or is there a particular theme youā€™d like for your journal? (I cannot guarantee items to fit your preferences, and Iā€™ll try include at least a few based on what I have available.)

Name and Address as it should be formatted for shipping (USA only):

6 Likes

Truly, please request a kit! I have bins and bins of junk journal supplies and want to share!

3 Likes

@LovelyMiss, I will totally try out a kit, Iā€™ve done a little of it but Iā€™m not good at it, though I follow a LOT of junk journalling YT channels! I donā€™t know how to get over my overthinking of it!

And sorry for the delay, everyone, but September prompts are now up!

6 Likes