Nerd Games Discussion Thread

I mostly followed the binding instructions in LovelyMiss’s tutorial – sewed the signatures to the kraft-tex and then glued the whole unit to the covers.

I did use a running stitch rather than her saddle stitch just because I had a lot short and/or weirdly aligned pages and was trying to make sure each page was bound at at least two holes for stability. My spine was 8.5 inches long, so I measured in 1/4 inch from the top and bottom for the first/last holes and then every 2 inches in between.

4 Likes

I filled out my crossword earlier today! I had fun searching out some of the answers. I even came across a Nerd Games feature that I hadn’t seen before. I enjoyed reading it and learning more about the Nerd Games.

I have just one more clue left and so far, the answer is eluding me. I’m going to keep thinking on it and hopefully I will FIND the answer soon (that’s a reference to the clue I can’t figure out, lol).

ETA - got it! Right after I posted this I started repeating the keyword out loud to myself and boom, the answer came to me :grin:. I’ll be submitting my completed crossword here shortly!

4 Likes

Oooh yeah… the crossword! I need to do that!

4 Likes

I’m over halfway done with the chart! I’m loving this blanket. But our weather is being wacky and it’s back in the 80s again, so it’s been hard to sit under it. I think I might not make as much progress this week until it cools down more.

6 Likes

That is INSANE!!!

3 Likes

Just a little reminder as we head into the holidays: please don’t forget LC this year! We enjoy this place for all the fun swaps, inspirational craftalongs, and incredible inspirations. We have formed some lasting and amazing friendships. And we have done it cost-free. Please think about giving to show your support and love for this great community! Let’s keep this Craftalong going for years to come!

2 Likes

Sorry about the late prompts, but December is up now! I kept meaning to get to it all day, and the day just got away from me!

4 Likes

I’ve been busy working on my junk journal today! :blush:

4 Likes

That sounds fun! I haven’t been able to start mine yet. I have a blanket I need to finish first. I’m nearly done with it though, so I can start my junk journal soon! Now if only my shoulder would cooperate and stop hurting. I’d get a lot more done.

3 Likes

I hope your shoulder feels better! It has been fun! I’m going to work on it more later today. It took me a while to get to my junk journal because I’ve been working on getting holiday things taken care of. I’m feeling mostly done with holiday prep now so I had time to sit and work finally. :slight_smile: Hope you get your blanket finished soon! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Celebration Pin Event Post

The Nerd Games have been my internet home-base for 10 years (minus that weird little bit when my life falling apart coincided with the old site shutting down and I didn’t know it lived on! Thanks, again, to those who sleuthed me out and got me back to the fun!).

I love the community we’ve built together and am so grateful we get to celebrate our nerdiness, creativity, craftiness, kindness, compassion, and generosity in such a cool way. It motivates me, gives me purpose, inspires me, and makes me genuinely happy! While having a reason to craft is what initially brought me to the Nerd Games, it’s the connections that keep me engaged all these years later. We have something special and I thank ALL of you for being your amazing selves, and sharing this space with me and each other.

6 Likes

The Nerd Games have meant so much to me over the years. It really keeps me connected and creating. I love receiving prompts and trying to think my way into fitting projects into them. The people who run and participate in the Games are the best. They are always so supportive, encouraging, and inspirational. In the last few years I have been working more on the swap mod side, so I don’t have as much time to comment on here, but I always check it out. It will always be my touchstone and real home on LC. Without the Games, sometimes I think I would get too caught up on the other side of administration and forget to create and have fun. Thank you so much for all the love and inspiration!

4 Likes

Ever since @roler told me about the Nerd Games back on Craftster and I joined, I’ve had my happy little craft corner to feel cozy in on the internet. I felt overwhelming anxiety and devastation when we learned Craftster would be shutting down. The relief and elation I felt when I found out LC was being created and knowing we would have a new crafty corner to be together in made me cry. I am so happy to still see so many of our crafty members are still here. All of you keep me sane and give me a sense of home and happiness. I’m so grateful for this crafting community :heart::heart::heart:

5 Likes

I have been playing these Nerd Games since the very beginning, when I was on Team Mystery! Who could have guessed that it would be the beginning of years of fun, teamwork, and camaraderie?

This bunch has kept a smile on my face and picked me up when I was down… and most of you didn’t even know you were doing it! I have made some incredible friends in this group.

The Nerd Games are my touchstone. No matter what else seems to be going on in my life or on Lettuce Craft, I always end up back here with the people who (outside of my family, of course) give me the most warm fuzzies. Thanks for the fun and friendship- and here’s to the next 10 years!

4 Likes

I think my parents liked their blankets :heart::heart::heart:

The pic of my dad is a capture from a video I took so it’s not the best, but you can see his smile. :blush:

8 Likes

Both are so incredible. I bet your smile was insane as they opened it too!

2 Likes

I arrived very late to the party, as in, I just discovered this site when the 10-year anniversary celebrations were half a year underway (June of 2023, to be precise).

I have found in this site a whole bunch of wonderful, encouraging people who are always ready to make everyone feel good about their arts, crafts, and making.

Then, just this fall, I discovered the nerd games, and truly discovered the Nerd Games when the fall version got underway. I love friendly challenges, and the nerd games (but really, this whole site) has really pushed me to explore more and to make the time for making art and doing the things I enjoy, by giving some structure to my artsy explorations. Furthermore, the loveliness of everyone here has taken away my fear of sharing projects with others, and has encouraged me to reach out and ask questions when I have them.

I am so happy to have found this happy and supportive corner of the internet. Thank you to everyone who makes this site what it is. You are appreciated more than you know :heart:.

6 Likes

I have a question about the pin prize collection, specifically, the Explorer pin. It says to submit the projects in the nerd games thread. Is “Explorer” a prompt in itself, or should I find prompts that fit each of the projects I completed for the pin?

Thank you

2 Likes

Great question! Find the prompts that fit the projects! Explorer is NOT a prompt.

2 Likes

Perfect; thank you!

2 Likes