Nessie Paintbrush Rest

I made this Nessie paintbrush rest for @gozer in the latest round of the Cryptid swap. I had my package all finished, but I was procrastinating putting away my laundry and I pulled out the air dry clay. I intended to make some sort of pencil cup, but it turns out that air dry clay is a lot harder to work with than I imagined! I ended up remembering that I’d seen some paintbrush rests and figured I’d try to make a Nessie one! By the time I got it worked out, the clay was pretty dry and cracked a bit, so I ended up having to sand it for an hour to get it smooth after it dried, but I think it was worth it. I painted it with layers of different green acrylic paint, drybrushed some more on, added the face with Posca markers, and added the final dot details with pearlescent acrylic ink. Then I used acrylic sealer over the whole thing in a few different coats to ensure it would be waterproof.

Here she is:

26 Likes

Cutie-pie!

3 Likes

Genius! The shape is perfect for a paintbrush rest. It turned out so cute, too!

2 Likes

really nice

2 Likes

You made something I didn’t know I needed! How cute! (and useful!)

Lots of work but good results…thanks for sharing your process!

2 Likes

This. Is. Amazing :heart_eyes: :star_struck:

2 Likes

This is adorable. I love that it came about as a means to procrastinate housework and then was such a successful project (after a LOT of work!). The face is perfect for her and the color is so rich and satisfying.

2 Likes

So cute and useful! It’s like the clay told you what it wanted to be. :laughing:

2 Likes

I love her. She is so cute and happy. I had no idea what she was made of. The air dry clay is so light!
Thank you Kwality570. Little Nessie really brightened my day!

2 Likes

Omg so cute and clever!

1 Like

That’s so cute!

1 Like

this is amazing!

1 Like

Thanks so much, everyone!

1 Like

My goodness she is sweet! What a useful lake monster!

1 Like

very cute and looks great! such a good idea, my brushes are always rolling around!

1 Like

I may or may not put off doing laundry in favor of crafting on a pretty regular basis…well, at least the folding and putting away part…

I love what you came up with, it’s so cute and functional too!

2 Likes

This is great, what a genius idea to use Nessie

1 Like

Thanks!!!