Never too Latte

I grew up around women who would make these beautiful quilts, but I never made one when I was younger. Now, I find that I want to give quilting another go. However, I find attempting a traditional quilt more than a little intimidating, due to the size of the project, so I decided to learn on something considerably smaller, a mug rug!

This my latest creation. I’m using the Quilt As You Go method and hand embroidered the accent insert.

What I’m finding is that I always seem to have one corner of the binding off in some manner. Is this normal or will it improve with more practice?

19 Likes

What a great mug rug! Well done on your first mini quilt :hugs:

This is an example of how I bind my quilts to get the nice mitred corners, hopefully it helps you :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I was also going to suggest mitered corners. I think they turn out looking the best.

2 Likes

And yes, you do get better as you go. Just like everything else in lifr, it takes practice.

I see more mug rugs, placemats and table runners in your future.

3 Likes

This is so cute! You’re off to a great start! I don’t really do quilting, but I do end up binding things and I third the mitered corner suggestion. It not only yields a nice result, but it’s actually way easier!

1 Like

Not going to lie, mitred corners kind of had me worried, but I think I’m working up the courage to give it a try soon. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

UGH! how did I not know this before??!?!? my corners always suck on binding, so NEVER quilted.

and

This is lovely :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Now that you know you’ll be an unstoppable quilting machine! :muscle:t2:

1 Like

Adorable!

I love your fabric choices! Nicely done!

Awesome mugrug!

I add a viice for the mitred corner. They do look great. A video tutorial is definitely the way to go. The first time I tried I don’t know what I did, but it didn’t look like it was supposed to. So I think that a video will make it way less daunting!

Welcome to the club. You’ll be churning out king size quilts in no time. :wink:

Mitred corners only look complicated. If you learn well from video there are so many resources. (i dont… I just want pictures and words to go at my own pace) but even with the number of bindings I’ve done… Sometimes a corner just won’t play nice. And i remind myself. Finished is better than perfect.

3 Likes

:brown_heart: :coffee: :scissors: Congratulations! Your adorable Mug Rug is a Featured Project this week! :scissors: :coffee: :brown_heart:

3 Likes

I agree with everyone else, a mitered corner is so intimidating at first, but not really that bad once you get the hang out it. Your composition is great and I love the embroidered touch. The coffee mug is so darned cute!

3 Likes