New Sewing Machine Intimidation

My mom’s sewing machine is the only sewing machine I’ve used with any regularity my whole life. We’ve had our disagreements, but it’s the sewing machine I know best.
Well, I got a sewing machine of my own at my bridal shower last year and I still haven’t used it yet. But I want to make Halloween and Thanksgiving bandanas for Charlie, so I know it’s time to bite the bullet and finally set it up. So far I’ve opened the box and started looking through the owner’s manual. And I’m so intimidated! Most of the intimidation comes from setting up a sewing machine from scratch, but part is also not having mom be able to come help if something’s not working, since it’s not her machine (and she doesn’t live here :laughing:).
Any advice or words of encouragement to help me get over this new machine intimidation?

1 Like

Figure out bobbins and how to thread it first. (ok, and how to put in the needle if it hasn’t got one yet.) Then sew some lines on a scrap to get a feel for the pedal & where the buttons are. Then worry about anything else! Once you dive into the basics it’ll get easier to look up any questions that come up after that, instead of trying to fit everything from the manual in your head without experience to tie it to.

Holiday bandannas sound like a great starter project to get comfortable with a new machine-- there will be stuff you like better than your mom’s machine & stuff where you can’t figure out why they thought this feature was a good idea, but you will be fine! :grin:

3 Likes

Machines today are super easy to use.
It probably has the threading path marked on the machine.

Grab some cheap plain fabric and play with the features, or check YouTube for videos of using the same model. Better, do both at once, and stitch along with the video.
You’ll be a pro in no time!

1 Like

Thanks guys! I think I am getting in my own head and ahead of myself a bit.

1 Like

And most brands have YouTube videos. Search for how-to videos. They can be really helpful.

1 Like

It actually came with a DVD but we don’t have a DVD player :laughing:

That’s hillarious.

1 Like

Which machine did you get? I got a new machine earlier this year and found all of the videos on YouTube.

It’s a Brother. I don’t know the particular make/model off the top of my head, I can look it up when I get home.

I had hoped to get it set up last night, but podcast recording ran long, so I didn’t. I think tomorrow will be the day that sucker finally leaves the box.

1 Like

I finally got it set up!

Now just need to actually try sewing. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I agree with all the advice - I have a Brother machine also and I watch a YouTube tutorial before I try button holes, zippers or any other fancy move.

1 Like

Okay, big thing I need to do is un-train myself to reach around the back for the lever that raises and lowers the foot. That’s where it is on my mom’s machine, but on this one it’s on the side. I did that soooo many times last night.
But I got my bandanas sewn! I definitely need to play around with some of the other features and stuff, but I figured out basic sewing at least just using the manual.
Thanks for taking this journey with me guys. :blush:

2 Likes

It’s funny, but even after you’ve developed new habits you will catch yourself making the old moves…even after months and years. I had to use my mom’s old Pfaff a few years ago and the only way she could thread it was to sit down and let her hands do the walking. She’s 91 now and can’t see well enough to sew, but her hands still knew what to do!

2 Likes

I love the big green thing in the background!

2 Likes

I was wondering if anyone would notice the giant stuffed alligator wearing a sun hat sitting on top of our futon. :rofl:
We just recently acquired it from some friends that were moving. They were going to get rid of it. Can you imagine?!

2 Likes

Horrors! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

How have you been doing with your machine? I love Brother products and have a machine similar to yours. Had dreamed of getting an electronic to replace my old Brother manual. I did look at some of the expensive ones, like Janome and Pfaff. I know that sometimes there is a difference in quality but it’s interesting how names can really attract us. It causes us to pay more than we need to. I take good care of my possessions and I didn’t need an expensive machine, so I forced myself to pass them by. I looked at Singers but through research found out that they are not as good as they used to be.

Was looking at a Brother at Wmart dot com that was $169 but I found that exact model on Ebay. It was NIB (new in box) for $125 through a pawn shop in Louisiana! After I bought it, the Wmart one went up to $189, probably because it was in the fall and nearing Christmas.

I love my machine! It runs smoothly and has everything that I need and more. I especially love the quilting table. It helps a lot as I practice free-motion quilting on small projects.
SQ9185_Front_FeaturedImagery_1

I still haven’t really done anything too fancy with it, haven’t attempted buttonholes or anything yet. But have definitely gotten regular sewing down. I actually experimented with changing some of the stitch sizes/lengths last time I used it, which I’d never done before.

1 Like

You’ll learn the most from the booklet. I started by reading the booklet, a little each day and I highlighted things that I knew I’d be searching for later. I also found a couple of YT vids for my model, including one by Brother. Watching that vid helped me to do something that I couldn’t quite understand from the booklet instructions.

Don’t remember what it was but it was a simple procedure that the booklet hadn’t made quite clear. I didn’t know this and would never have been able to figure it out had it not been for that vid. I would have continued to think that it was me not understanding.

So glad to hear that you’ve gotten regular sewing down. Happy Sewing!

1 Like