News article about clothing recovered from shipwreck

Edit 3: (July 4, 2023) I just checked the links and the WCVB ones are no longer available so if interested please go to the CNN link- it is available to all, I believe. Enjoy!

I came across this article and thought our folks here would be interested. Link goes to a Boston News Station webpage WCVB.

It’s about clothing from the late 1600’s found in a shipwreck.
I don’t know how to do the thing where you can see the box of what it is here in the post, sorry, I can only do links. I hope you enjoy it!

Edit to try TMT’s suggestion:

https://www.wcvb.com/article/stunning-silver-wedding-dress-recovered-17th-century-shipwreck/42968173

Well, Lookit that! Thanks!

(@Edel , @AIMR and @Magpie @MistressJennie)

Edit2 to add Imma’s Link for our European players:

10 Likes

Coool! Thanks for sharing!

I think the box happens when you just paste the link into the body of the post rather than when you use the link button.

2 Likes

hmmm Imma try that…

2 Likes

Very interesting read!

I know fabric preservation is indeed a combo of science and art!

2 Likes

Thanks! Here’s a link to what I think is another article about the same thing (I googled “wedding dress ship wreck”) Silver wedding dress recovered from 17th century shipwreck | CNN The one you posted isn’t accessible in Europe.

It’s an amazing discovery, imagine what a white wedding dress hand embroidered with actual pieces of silver must have looked like? I’m not surprised they found a book cover with the emblem of the Stuart family on it. That’s a wedding dress suitable for royalty.

It is apparantly in a museum in NL! Unfortunately, on an island, pretty far from where I live, but I hope I can get a look at it one day.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll add the link to the first post. I was wondering if you might get to see it being the closest person to it that I know of.

2 Likes

I have actually been in that museum, I think! But a long time ago, in the 90s. I had family on the island, we visited them and I know we went to a museum full of stuff they found in shipwrecks. It’s a small island so it’s probably the same museum.

The island of Texel is a bit out of the way for me - it’s 3-4 hours by train or car to the harbour, then half an hour on the boat, and the island is nice but not really anything special. It’s a little too far away for a day trip but not really special enough for a vacation. Maybe @Ewulotta has had a chance to see it, if I remember correctly she goes on holiday there!

I understand why they want to keep their own treasures on their own island but I think it’s special enough to be shown in our national historical museum.

2 Likes

Thank you for linking me, this is really interesting

4 Likes

Wow! That’s amazing! :heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

Thank you @Immaculata for remembering me! When we’re in Texel in summer we’ll definitely pay the museum a visit! I’m already excited now that I know what treasure to expect to see :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

@Immaculata I’ll finally see the silver dress! As usual we’re spending our summer vacation here on Texel and I’m so excited to have the chance and see all the treasures from the shipwreck! Thank you @AntBee for sharing the article!

5 Likes

Have a great time!!

1 Like

OMG, it’s amazing! Such a beautiful dress! Unbelievable it has survived all the years under the sea!

9 Likes

Wow! Thanks for the updates!

@Edel @AIMR @MistressJennie @Magpie

3 Likes

Beautiful !!!

1 Like

That’s AMAZING! Thank you for sharing your pics!

2 Likes

It’s gorgeous

2 Likes

Incredible. The fabric, the dress, and the whole entire story. Just wow.

2 Likes