Notan Cards

I haven’t crafted in almost two months, because of bad health, so I needed a simple craft.
Google ‘notan’ (a Japanese technique) and you’ll find lots of examples (I didn’t use any examples, I rather make my own designs before seeing those of others).

Usually you use a black square piece of paper and cut out motives on all four sides, then turn them over and glue all of the black pieces on a white background.
Since I decided to make greeting cards, I adapted the technique and used black rectangles and only cut out motives on one side.

I hope you like them.

17 Likes

Very cool! I think one up from the last one is my fave, but they are all great.

2 Likes

These are very cool. Might have to ‘borrow’ another one of your ideas :smiley:

2 Likes

Love your cards! Making notans is a lot of fun. You did great matching matching everything up, when I’ve done them in the past I always make the mistake of too many small pieces which are difficult to line up. Your cards are very striking.

2 Likes

These are so cool! The black-and-white makes me think of mod '60s decor - these would look fantastic as larger art prints, too!

2 Likes

These are amazing! The stars and circles are my favorites.

2 Likes

Love the stars. These are very neatly and dramatically done. Glad you found something you could have fun creating. Hope you feel like crafting even more soon.

1 Like

These are mesmerizing!

1 Like

Thank you, @Abbeeroad, @Cindy, @photojenn, @wittychild, @Bunny1kenobi, @gozer and @TheMistressT !
I’m glad you like them!

3 Likes

Very cool! Love their bold, graphic impact. Feel like I tried this technique in a long-ago art class. Your cards look great!

1 Like

Thanks, @endymion !

I’m pretty sure we did this at school when I was about 6 years old (52 years ago).
It didn’t have a name back then. Or perhaps in Japan it did.

1 Like

Second up from the bottom is my favorite. It reminds me of a Rorschach test. Or a tribal mask. Maybe that is the test!

I totally agree!

1 Like

Thank you, @irid3sc3nt !