Nummy naan

I’ve recently discovered how easy it is to make naan bread! I do mine on my big electric skillet and double this recipe coz it goes FAST at my house! (The recipe isn’t one I created, but it’s the one I use.)

1 pkg active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp milk
1 beaten egg
2 tsp salt
4 1/2 cups flour
1/4 c melted butter

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy. Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 6-8 min on a lightly floured surface, or until smooth. Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise for approximately one hour, until the dough has doubled in volume.

Punch down dough, and knead briefly. Pinch off tennis ball sized balls of dough, place on greased cookie sheet. Cover with a towel and allow to rise for about 30 min.

Preheat skillet or grill to med-high temp. Roll out dough into thin circle and place on lightly oiled skillet. Cook for 2-3 min, until puffy and browned. Brush uncooked side with melted butter and turn over. Brush cooked side with butter. Allow to cook another 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from skillet, and continue the process until all the bread has been prepared.

This is an excellent side for Indian food, soup, stew… Etc. It’s also delicious with honey or cinnamon sugar.

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing your recipe…and, for letting me know you use an electric skillet! I am so bad at controlling heat on the stove top and burn a lot of things…I can do this!!

Naan bread is one of our favorites, especially since hubby loves to make and eat Indian curry! mmmmm

3 Likes

Curry is a fave at our house, too! My hubby makes awesome chicken curry and shrimp coconut curry… yummmm!

1 Like

Looks great. My hubby has made naan but he did it on the bbq.

2 Likes

I love naan! Will definitely save this.

2 Likes

Bookmarked! We love naan but trips to the shops are few and far between. I know a lot of people are getting their bread on but I’ve been resisting. I’d love to teach the kids how to do this though, I think they’d really enjoy it.

2 Likes

This looks wonderful, and easy to make. I’ve never had naan bread but certainly want to try!

1 Like

It’s sooooo goooood!!!

1 Like

Thank you for the recipe and inspiration! I love naan and have never tried to make it before.

2 Likes

I love Naan… thanks for sharing the recipe. Also love Indian food. I like a fish curry sauce :star_struck:

Oh, that looks so good. Dh and I went to an Indian restaurant for our anniversary a few year ago – we were trying something new – and I just wanted to absorb the naan through my pores. I loved it. Having this recipe might be dangerous for me now! lol

2 Likes