Nutcracker Along 2026

I have been working away on my snowman, but it’s slow going with a few steps with dry times to consider. I sawed him off his base, then reattached after sanding both surfaces - he was on there a little crooked. I did a little painting (which dried quickly), the added texture to all the snowy parts.

I also carved some details into his carrot nose, then painted it.

I had asked via text message the recipient if she has certain colors or style that she decorated with for Christmas and she hadn’t gotten back to me, so I was going down a black/white route. She’s buried in stuff right now and I didn’t want to nag, but then I knew she was on her phone this weekend, so I asked again and she got back to me which helped me start to get a little bit of focus. I repainted the base a light blue and started going though all my papers to set aside possibilities. Fabric next!

4 Likes

I need to take the time and see what I have in my nutcracker collection for repurposing. I have a nice variety of sizes to choose from and most are pretty traditional. Now I need a theme or character for inspiration.

Wait, I think I may do our cats…hmmm.

3 Likes

Yesssssss! Do! The! Cats! Do! The! Cats! Do! The! Cats! Do! The! Cats! That would be so fun and funny!

3 Likes

:sweat_smile::rofl::joy::squinting_face_with_tongue:

OK, Ok, I’ll do the cats! One is black and the other is white and tabby. This will be fun.

1 Like

YEY! :tada:

2 Likes

I love the texture on the snowman! Cat nutcrackers sound awesome.

:black_cat: :cat:

2 Likes

Thanks! I got it painted today and a few other bits.

1 Like

I was at a thrift shop today looking at their nutcrackers, they had a few, but I think I will go with some of mine. I did pick up two cats in pots of money, St Patrick Day themed for inspiration…or maybe to paint up for Halloween? They are only about 5 inches tall.

3 Likes

Those sound cute! I bet those pots of money could be cauldrons!

1 Like

I didn’t get to work on mine yesterday and didn’t think I was going to be able to work on it today, but I did! I am trying to build a wider base for it, that has a drawer. I think I got the “case” part done today other than waiting for the wood glue to dry.

2 Likes

This sounds interesting. I have those tall Nutcrackers that you can paint from Hobby Lobby that needs to be finished. Can I use those for this?

2 Likes

Please join us! You can use ANY nutcracker and decorate it with any mediums or modify it in any way. I mean, it still needs to end up as a nutcracker, but go to town. I’m using an unfinished one from Michael’s.

1 Like

So, The Nutcracker Ballet; the most famous nutcracker of all. :ballet_shoes: Am I the only one here who has not seen it? I haven’t seen it performed live nor filmed or any kind of animation or whatever. :open_mouth:

Thanks I just wanted to make sure

1 Like

What!? Nothing ever? I watched so many versions of it as a kid.

I think the only thing that’s even close is when it is when the characters in a TV show or movie go to see it or are in it.

I was lucky to have a lot of time on Saturday to work on my nutcracker. I did a lot of painting on various parts, some paper stuff, a little bit of woodworking. Here’s some of it, including the drawer I made to be a base.

3 Likes

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE CLASSIC MILITARY-STYLE NUTCRACKER?
  • The soldier is the one that says “nutcracker” to me.
  • I find myself drawn to the others more.
  • Gimme all the nutcrackers!
  • I have never noticed this was a thing to consider.
0 voters

Your pic is trippin me out. What kind of surface is all that sitting on? Glass?

I noticed how weird it looked after I posted it! It’s a grey silicone craft mat, but it looks like bad photoshop or something, right?

1 Like