Oakley the dog portrait afghan

This is project I made about 6 years ago, but I wasn’t on Cster anymore, so I figure I’ll post it here so people can see it!

So the backstory is that my friend’s dog, Oakley had passed in his sleep at the age of 15. He had been her companion since before her marriage, through miscarriages, and after the birth of her only daughter. She was heartbroken at having to say goodbye to him. I approached a group of mutual friends and asked if they would like to chip in for a present for her – if they could help me pay for yarn and shipping, I would make this blanket and send it to her as a gift from all of us.

I used Caron Simply Soft, which gave it a nice drape and sheen and J Tunisian hook. I did some sneaky FB stalking and found a cute picture of Oakley wearing a party hat to recreate. I can’t remember the online program I used to convert the picture into pixels. It had a weird name. :confused:

In progress… looks kind of weird and abstract. And yarn tails galore!

All done with a border!

22 Likes

What an awesome remembrance of a beloved pup.

Maybe the website was stitchfiddle?

1 Like

No, I want to say it was like some math equation or something. The picture-stitch conversion part of it was kind of a side project to a completely unrelated and uncrafty website.

1 Like

This is the best and the most!
(I like to say that, even though it doesn’t “make sense.”)

Beautiful treasure!

1 Like

I seriously just got the same look on my face as Oakley when I got to the photo of the finished piece!! This is so wonderful for so many reasons.

1 Like

What a beautiful gift and great tribute to Oakley! I’m sure the recipient was delighted.

1 Like

I love this so hard. It is just wonderful!

1 Like

Awww he is just adorable, and what a lovely gift :heart: beautiful and personal!

1 Like

I know that hat was a nightmare! But what a wonderful gift…so personal and done with lots of caring for your friend…wow…

1 Like

Adorable and super sweet!

1 Like

haha I love it! And it totally makes sense to me. :smiley:

Aww!

She was! One of our friends gave her husband the heads-up and asked him to film her opening it so we could all see. She just loved it! She told me later that their daughter (who was 12ish at the time) always wanted to cuddle with it.

hahaha You know it! All the color switching. The back of the afghan was like a giant snarl of colored spaghetti!

Thanks, everyone!

3 Likes

This is precious. So perfect.

This is the only site I know of that converts pictures to pixelated images. You can even select how many pixels across (how detailed) you want the final image to be.

3 Likes

This is such a thoughtful gift @grenouille78 I bet your friend really cherishes it xx

1 Like

This is so utterly thoughtful and beautiful!

1 Like

@artsycandice and @MistressJennie I finally found it! It’s KnitPro. https://microrevolt.org/knitPro/ I don’t know where I got the math equation part; I think the site has changed some since I was last there.

Thanks, @PrincessP and @TheMistressT!

2 Likes

Whoa, how did I miss this. So amazing and totally captures the sweet pup’s likeness!

1 Like

I was wondering the same thing. How did I miss this? I love the picture you chose. You can’t help but laugh and smile when you see it.

1 Like

Thanks, @sheepBlue and @gozer! When I was scrolling through my friend’s pics on FB trying to find a good one, I got to this with the doggie in his party hat and instantly knew it was the one! So when they look at it they would have fun memories of him. On the reveal video when she opened it, her whole family got excited when they recognized when the picture was from. That made my day!

3 Likes

AMAZING afghan!

1 Like