Old clothes, new clothes

Some highlights from the ongoing household mending piles:

Problem: “This shirt is too scratchy! No, it’s pretty, you can’t give it away!”

Problem: too many short sleeves, not enough long sleeves, plus a child who has decided to chew thumb holes into longer sleeves that haven’t got them already.

Problem: too many t-shirts, not enough cute dresses (especially that protect the back of my shoulders from getting sunburnt!)

Problem: sparks burnt tiny holes in my silly reclaimed dress/tunic.

This one I got at an SCA yardsale & decided to make it into something for modern wear:

Problem: my husband is very hard on jeans…

17 Likes

This is a very inspiring post for me…seeing how you turned old clothes problems into new clothes successes! You tackled them…wonderfully…

1 Like

So many great solutions! And so many fun, upcycled garments!

1 Like

Love the t-shirt dresses!

And I really like the quote on the jeans’ patches, that most famous of quotes by Pliny the Younger “hugs and kisses”

1 Like

Ooh, pirate patchwork for the win! With bonus kitty even :pirate_flag: :kissing_cat:

2 Likes

I love these!!

1 Like

Wow! So many different creative solutions! On the shirt with the flowers heart, it looks like you added sleeves with thumb holes. Did you also extend the length with the heathered gray fabric? Is the Halloween shirt next to it handmade? I love that you managed to transform t-shirts into complete dresses and your mending - both the hand stitched and embroidered patches is both fun and functional! What great ways to make all your clothes last!

1 Like

Yeah, the flower shirt is a 7 or so, plus some off the bottom of an adult t-shirt, with sleeve ends from a different outgrown piece of kid-clothing. Basically anything with holes that I haven’t made cute mends to yet goes in the rag bin when it gets outgrown.

The bat & spiderweb fabrics were actually bought new, & I made something for me w/ the webs so she insisted that I needed to make something for her also. And then she stopped wearing it because the raw edges I left on the sleeves offended her somehow, so I added sleeve ends from a different sacrificial kid shirt, which I’d already used a tiny strip of for the neck binding.

I am sad that I no longer get to add skirts to her old shirts, but at least she still enjoys silly patchwork.

2 Likes

I am so impressed with the work and effort you put into these mends! I really like that Halloween shirt and am glad to hear you were able to fix it so it no longer offended her sensibilities :laughing:. I really like the pops of pink. The matching collar and cuffs is what clued me into it being handmade. I love that you use the old to fix the new! I’ve kept a few of LittleBookLover’s old shirts to reuse the fabric and love all these ideas you’ve shared!

1 Like

Awesome re-creations! I’m inspired to work on my 'lost weight all my summer shorts fall down. Lucky family.

1 Like

Wonderful reworks!! That pirate dress is the coolest!!!

1 Like

Some very clever ideas, here! I love reusing things this way, though I admit I don’t do things like this as often as I should.

2 Likes