One Last Makeover

I got this sewing chair along with my first sewing machine back in 1969. My dad was in Viet Nam and sent my mom the money to surprise me…his motive, as he told me years later, was to keep me busy with a hobby so I wouldn’t focus on boys…I was 15… :wink:

The original had beige vinyl upholstery and brown wood. I remember covering the seat with this floral maybe in the early 80’s…

I posted another makeover on the deadspace back in 2011…

Well, darn, guess I am using her so much that she basically fell apart again…the bottom is cheap fiberboard so the legs broke away and the color of the fabric was faded and thin…

I probably could have just gotten a new chair, but this one has a lot of sentimental value…so, I decided to give her one last makeover. First, I had to sturdy up all the parts. I also put wooden blocks in the corners to shore up the bottom and hopefully hold up the legs.

I wanted to use what I had, so I decided to cut up an old curtain panel I had. She looked so plain that I had to add some trim (plus, it covers up the tons of staples I had to use!).

All filled up and ready to get back to work!

34 Likes

I love that you gave this old chair another lease on life! And it looks wonderful!

2 Likes

What a wonderful makeover! It’s cool that you were able to save the sentimental chair. It’s a great chair and a great story!

2 Likes

That chair has moved with me from Kansas, where I first got it, to NY, Panama, PA, IN, GA, AL and now NC. It definitely has history! It is a traveling chair! lol

7 Likes

How cool to be able to preserve a sentimental piece like this! At first, I thought the seat looked disproportionately large, and didn’t realize that it doubles as storage…neat!

2 Likes

That turned out great and yay, good for you to rescue it again and again. It’s the cutest chair, nothing new could possibly be as nice. Old stuff is the best stuff :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

I would say your dad was successful, at least with the keeping you busy with a hobby. All these years later and you’re still going strong! I love that you were able to breathe new life into this chair…and so quickly too!

3 Likes

Great job giving it an extended life!

1 Like

I love this story and project so much!! Though the thought that this is the “last” time she can be reincarnated makes me a little sad!

1 Like

lol Don’t be sad! I am just hoping that I repaired her well enough to not need any more makeovers! I am already thinking I might add a bit more color to the top…pale colors are not going to stay nice in my craft room… I probably should have gone for a more colorful pattern to blend with any paint splatters! :rofl:

1 Like

I am almost without words with how much I love this project. This is more than a chair and a link to your parents. It’s an old, dear friend that has been with you most of your life and literally supported you through so much of your creative life. It’s just awesome that you shored her up to keep going!

5 Likes

Funny how this old chair sort of mimics my own life. I have to shore up my own health to keep going and patch myself up. I still have a lot of life left to keep going, but I just need a little touch up here and there to make me stronger and happier. If I can help any of my lifelong “friends” along the way, even better!

Yeah, she and I have seen and done a lot and have a lot more to see and do! :heart:

7 Likes

Aw, bless your father for being so ignorant about 15 year old girls…

Great job on saving your darling sewing chair one more time!

2 Likes

Wow, what a work of love and practicality. It’s beautiful.

Looks amazing and kudos to dad for giving you a “hobby”! :joy:

1 Like

UGH…

1 Like

No! C’mon, universe!

1 Like

Nooooo!!! :tired_face:

1 Like

I can’t deal with it today. I am getting my hair done and going to spend some time walking around downtown Wilmington (my favorite yarn shop is by the river).

I am using a kitchen chair to sew today when I get back. Looks like I am going to have to screw in a few more longer screws and use a lot more glue…I think I can just undo the one corner to get it done…what an obstinate chair, she is!!! I should just dump her…lol.

2 Likes

I have never seen a chair like this before, I love furniture that has multiple purposes, and it is extra special since you have had it so long. :slight_smile: