One Swear Jar to Rule them all

Okay, so this isn’t LOTR themed (though I wish it was…how cool would that be!!!)

I now have a 16yr old and 13yr old in my house (where does the time fly?)

And the swearing has gotten out of control. We swear. It’s just a way of the world, but we swear where swearing is justified. I had always took the stance I’d rather have the kids know what they’re hearing (from friends/YouTube/ etc) than start using a word or phrase and have no idea what the connotations are.

But these days, yikes! They’re basically using swears as punctuation.

Enter the swear jar.

I give them 50 pieces of Monopoly money.
They swear, a piece goes in.
Anything left over at the end of the week I pay them in real $.

I don’t know how well this is going to work…wish me luck!

22 Likes

I l9ve your creativity in both your swear jar system and your decoration. Let us know how it goes!

2 Likes

Nicely decorated swear jar! Hope it solves the problem and also that it doesn’t work SO well that it drives you to bankruptcy.

8 Likes

Very good point on the bankruptcy!

1 Like

I will and thanks!

1 Like

Great idea!
You must trust them not to get more monopoly money from somewhere…

And I like the divide between essential and recreational swearing.

Hahaha…neat idea, definitely good luck!

We have a similar philosophy towards “adult” words. I’ll never forget in 3rd grade I told my teacher my friends and I were in a club called the “studs.” She kindly told me I might want to consider different club names…

2 Likes

We had a swear jar…only we had to put real money in each time we used a cuss word! If we didn’t have the funds, we had to pay in a chore.

Good luck! Do the adults have to pay as well?

2 Likes

Fun idea. Swears are fine, learning the benefits of control is even better.

There are actually studies about the impactful benefits of cussing. I’m a sailor, lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Swearwolves for life, arrrooooooo!

4 Likes

Hahah! I am a sailor too!!! I try to curb it, but it never works. The jar is a creative solution. Hopefully it will help your kids reel it in. You should make a goal for yourself too! Show your kids that it can be done!

PS. @Magpie, I need that patch! Hahah!

2 Likes

The first time my frenchie gramma cursed in earshot I was 12 & nearly fell over. Turned out she was a spicy little pixie! Runs in the fam, makes me laugh like a 5 year old at a potty joke :smile:

3 Likes

I tend to be more creative with my “cussing “ by using cuss words that aren’t really cuss words. It makes people laugh and often diffuses tense situations.

Good luck with the swear jar- I hope we’ll get updates! :smile: