Ongoing Christmas Ornament Swap Discussion and Gallery

I’m glad you like them!

1 Like

Soooo cute!

1 Like

I received a gorgeous HP pixie ornament from @MightyMitochondria! It’s perfect on my tree.

6 Likes

Oooo that must be so neat in a dark room with just the tree lights!

2 Likes

I received this wonderful German Ornament from @Immaculata today! It brings back good memories from when I lived there. It’s an Advent Candle ornament. Each candle represents different things each week vas it goes to Christmas. They are different colors, but she chose then to be white, which is just fine with me! She also sent this fantastic German Magazine! I can’t wait to look thru it! :heart_eyes: Thank you again! :hugs:

6 Likes

Wow, that took some time!! I have no idea why it took so long but I’m glad it got there in the end. Someone got me that magazine last year as a Christmas gift (I don’t think you can buy it in my country), and I thought you would be the right person to pass it on to! It’s very, very German. Full of cookie, cake and meat recipes, lots of advent wreaths and angels. Freizeit Revue is a German women’s magazine which is usually full of celebrity gossip but this special Advent edition is full of holiday cheer!

4 Likes

@Immaculata --can you tell us more about the candle advent ornament? What does each candle represent? Do you take away or add the candle each week or does it open like a calendar advent?

Very interesting looking magazine as well!

2 Likes

Honestly I’m not great at papercraft, so it doesn’t “do” anything. But both ideas would be great if I were to make a new version of this one. I wanted to try a different craft for once, not something that involved needles and yarn.

Traditionally, in families an advent wreath is used as a decoration and every Sunday, another candle is lit. In my country we also have Advent wreaths as a decoration, but you’d usually find them in religious households. In Germany, they seem much more widespread as a decoration, even though Germany is also a pretty secular country. It seems it’s not really considered a religious symbol anymore. Traditionally I think the candles would be purple for catholics and red for protestants, but I’ve also seen wreaths with other colours or different colours on one wreath. I went with white felt because I wasn’t sure about all the various meanings of the colours and didn’t want to make it a religious thing. I think the symbol of evergreen in the middle of winter and the light in the darkness is pretty universal and I hoped that it would bring back happy memories for Juju who lived in Germany for a period of time.

And because it took so long to arrive, she’ll (hopefully!) get another one soon too! :slight_smile: It’s different from this one, both in theme and in craft. I really hoped this one would eventually arrive.

5 Likes

I love hearing about different traditions and how they evolved and are shared. Thank you!

2 Likes

In the churches I’ve been a part of, all 4 candles are on the wreath (unlit), and each week a candle is lit (lighted?) during the service (at my current church, a family comes forward to light it & usually the kids are involved). So the first week, one candle is lit, then 2nd week = 2 candles, etc.
The candles stand for Hope, Peace, Love & Joy.
Many churches add a 5th candle on Christmas Eve & it is called “the Christ Candle”.

@Immaculata , I really like your version with paper & felt!
@MightyMitochondria , the pixie jar is adorable!

5 Likes

Yes, this is what my church does. We have 5 and they are different colors. Or can be.

3 Likes

I received from @Camelama (first package must have taken a wrong turn so she resent)

Have to share the story included …

Here is a little friend, trying to trim the tree. But one bulb is broken! Who can help? An even tinier friend! Tiny one has a replacement …

Aren’t they so adorable !

13 Likes

Awww, that’s adorable

Awww, they are super cute!

This one took a fair amount of time to get here, but last week my ornament from @Camelama arrived!!! I think it’s been on it’s way since November. I don’t know what happened, there’s nothing unusual to be seen on the envelope. I suppose it just got lost in customs somewhere on your side or my side of the Atlantic. It arrived last week, just as we were moving out of our house and into temporary accomodation, which is why it took a bit longer to post it. I was carrying a box outside when the mail arrived and I put all of the mail in the nearest bag, but it took me some time to figure out which bag that was (turned out to be my work bag, put them in the laptop sleeve to protect them, makes sense, but I forgot!).

But it was worth the wait. Look at this! It’s about 4 inch / 10 cm tall, two layers of felt and very very detailed. The light here is awful so the pictures really don’t do it justice, I hope @Camelama has better pictures than this! The theme was Little Women and this is obviously Amy. The dress is a bit more pink in real life and she’s carrying a painter’s palette. She’s very, very detailed and stitched with perfect tiny little stitches. She will definitely get a central place on the tree next year! :heart_eyes:

11 Likes

IT MADE IT! Somewhere there is another Amy, as I believe that is the first one I mailed - second one had different hair. :slight_smile: Yay! So happy!

3 Likes

It is so amazing! I’m so glad so finally arrived!

1 Like

Here are a couple pics I took.

9 Likes

Very sweet rendition of Amy!

This is fabulous work! What a pretty ornament as well! I would hang it all year!

2 Likes