Ope! Hoodie

Being a Midwesterner through and through, I knew I needed an Ope shirt. I dont need more t-shirts, so I found a blank hoodie. Then I had to add the rest of the phrase down the sleeve :laughing:

16 Likes

Now that’s Fanta-tastic! No uff da there! Beauty way to go!

:wink: (Born a Michigander, summers in Da UP eh, and Duluth)

1 Like

(But seriously - love it!)

1 Like

It’s a foreign language, right? Spoken only by yoopers and their neighbors?

2 Likes

I love this!!! Cool idea to run the long phrase down the sleeve!

1 Like

Haha yes, its a Midwest US thing. I got teased for it when I lived in Colorado.

5 Likes

Lol. How is it pronounced? O-pay? O-pee?

Love the shirt. Looks like you bought it!

2 Likes

Just like “hope” without the h. Like a surprised “oh!” With the p sound at the end :laughing:
Here is a local comedian School Of Ope - YouTube

3 Likes

Being a native Midwesterner, I had no idea this wasn’t something everyone said until a few years ago.

Ope, sorry! :joy:

5 Likes

I love it!
Somehow I, a life-long New Englander with Irish off-the-boat grandparents, say this, too. I wonder where we picked it up.
Love the project. The sleeve just makes it.

2 Likes

Lol…I was going to say it’s common in the North Country of NYS, too. My dad definitely says this before lots of things. I’m not sure with the same midwestern flair, but it’s in the vocab for sure. I definitely unconsciously preface a lot of my statements with this little sound. But I think I can confidently say it’s not a Jersey thing, lol. :laughing:

ETA: Now I am hearing my dad, “Ope, forgot what I was going to say;” “Ope, lost my head for a minute.” I would not have put an e on it prior to this thread, haha, or even included it in the statement, it’s so just a part of his speech. Like an “ah” or an “um.”

6 Likes

This is awesome! :grin:

1 Like

This is utterly delightful! And a true pleasure to read through all the comments! I love regionalisms and such and you’re really captured the spirit of it in your design - from the state shape to the phrase on the arm. NICE!

2 Likes

I say that! Haha! I had no idea it was a thing. This is hilarious and well done.

2 Likes

Same! sort of onomatopoeia - sort of shortening of oops. I’m from Texas didn’t even realize it was a thing from up north.

3 Likes

I say it too and I was raised in western Canada!

Seriously though… LOVE the shirt!

2 Likes

Originally from North Dakota myself and the proper response is " go ahead, your fine!" And I won’t look at you or move when saying it

3 Likes

Do you happen to know a good recipe for cheese curd batter?

1 Like

Alas that is my midwest failing - I hate cheese curds! LOL

1 Like

I love this. I worked with a girl back in Olympia, WA that said it. And I heard people say it quite often when I lived in South Dakota.

I like fun regional quirks. In Washington, almost everyone ends a phone call with “mmm bye.” Once it was pointed out to me, I caught myself (still do it actually!) saying it at the end of every call.

3 Likes