Operation Use Up Yarn: Summer Mandala Wall Hanging

My latest adventure in Operation Use Up Yarn was to stitch up this “Summer Mandala” pattern by Annie’s Design Crochet.

Her pattern is more colorful than mine, but that’s ok. My rules were: use up yarn :heavy_check_mark:, use coordinating colors :heavy_check_mark:, and use same weighted yarn :heavy_check_mark:. I did not have enough of the pink (acrylic) or white (cotton) to do a two toned mandala as I had hoped. Then, I found almost a full skein of the Sugar and Cream blue cotton, so I finished with that. reminds me of a muted Americana theme.

It is larger than the one she made, and I didn’t like how she attached it, so I had to figure that out on my own. I didn’t think I had a large enough hoop,but then realized I had a quilting hoop in my stash that had been sitting there, and luckily that was just the right size! I also knew I didn’t want to use both pieces, of the hoop. This mandala point to point is 16".

Here it is outside!

I took about 6" of yarn, tied it around the hoop, then I attached it between the “v” of the middle DC in the 2nd to last row, and did some more tying to attach it. I like how you can’t see the ties when you look at it from the front!

(I made an error somewhere when I was crocheting, and ended up short a V-stitch, which caused a slight pattern change on the last two rounds, but it’s such a busy piece and unless you know to look for it, you won’t notice the error, so I didn’t try to fix it. Also, I’m lazy.)

This was fun to make! I think I’ll do more. I have a lot of thinner yarn that would be gorgeous as a single color that would work in smaller hoops.

Thanks for looking!

13 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

You sure are coming up with some nice projects to use up your (never ending) supply of yarn!

2 Likes

Thank you! I can’t wait to show off the one I was hinting at in the “Snapshot” thread a few days ago.

3 Likes

Pretty! I have one from the Lettuce Auction in beautiful multi colours, it’s perfect under a delicate plant pot.

2 Likes

I’m currently using some yarn I purchased in the Lettuce Auction for my next Operation Use Up Yarn project!

2 Likes

Very pretty! And what a great way to display it! I might have to use this as inspiration for displaying a few vintage family doilies I have stored away. Those large quilting hoops seems to be readily available at my local thrift shops!

3 Likes

I had no idea that is how these were made. I think the colors work great. Looks very pretty.

2 Likes

Thanks. I could have used a bigger hoop- I had to expand past the hoop edge to make it work, but I still like it.

2 Likes

I love how it’s mounted. I’ve seen big ones mounted on hula hoops, that’s a bit ambitious for me :wink:

1 Like

So pretty and dainty.