Orca ornament

For my partner in the ongoing ornament swap, with the theme of “local iconic item”, i made this Orca ornament.

I live near Puget Sound in Washington State & I am just nuts for our local orcas. I love that these giant wild animals are just randomly swimming around out there! And that I can see them from the ferries, and even while standing on the shore! There are places where you can be just a couple feet from them, while you simply stand there & they linger, playing (like at their favorite pebbling spot). And I loved Granny, or J2 was her genealogical classification, the matriarch of the local salmon-eating orcas (the transient orcas eat seals & sea lions etc, the locals eat only salmon). She was said to have lived to 105, tho now with better data they lowered that back down to her 60s. She had a distinctive notch in her dorsal fin which made her easy to identify.

I cut out her shape freehand, trying for both a splashy jump out of the water, and the typical curved shape of local orca art. I added some typical local J pod white markings, and a blue background for her watery playground. And of course, she has her dorsal notch, and a salmon to snack on.

19 Likes

Such a beautiful ornament: the story, the design, the color, and the stitching. Lovely!

1 Like

I love how much thought you put into this ornament! Plus, it is lovely!

2 Likes

I LOVE THIS SOOOO MUCH! So much. You’ve done an amazing job capturing her and the orca-vibe in general. Please tell me your feline Orca has a salmon toy!

1 Like

I love Granny! The story and information make this piece really special.

2 Likes

Orca had a namesake toy but destroyed it! Needle-felted stuff just cannot survive around him. I need to sew him one out of very strong canvas! Putting it on my to do list! For now Orca plays with a big tough felt blue whale, and a kicker made of denim. :wink:

1 Like

A wonderful rendition and I love the background story!

1 Like

:rotating_light: :mega: :rotating_light: ooOOOooo-gah! oooOOOooo-gah! Your super duper craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Woohoo! :rotating_light: :mega: :rotating_light:

1 Like

I like that fin sticking up out of the blue, character!

1 Like

Thanks so much!

1 Like

This is so cool and your story made it even better!

1 Like