Otto and Ricky take the town!

So, last year for their birthday, I knit my stepsons some hats. I asked if there was anything they wanted this year, thinking they might request some mittens or scarves. Nope, the answers were “a raccoon, wearing a red scarf” and “a river otter with a grey back”.

So, introducing Otto Odbody and Ricky Rucksack. They are set to have some adventures together.

I used Sarah Elizabeth Kellner’s River Otter pattern for Otto (find it here on Ravelry) and Alan Dart’s raccoon pattern (here). They were both knit in sugar and cream cotton yarn. Otto is knit in more or less one piece working in the round, starting at the neck, with just a bit of seaming, while Ricky is knit in several flat pieces which are then seamed and sewn together.

P.S. A friend who does dog rescue asked if I’d make something like this to donate to one of their auctions; I said I didn’t feel comfortable using someone else’s pattern to make something for sale, even for charity, but I am working on a pattern for a crocheted fennec fox of my own design. I know it’s a different craft, but if someone here crochets and is interested in testing a pattern once I’m done, let me know !

21 Likes

They’re charming!
Love Otto !

1 Like

Shut up! Otto! So stinking cute.

1 Like

Both of them are really cute!

Can’t wait to see what you come up with in your own design! Love the yarns you used as well!

1 Like

Absolutely adorable!

2 Likes

They are both cute, but I LOVE Otto! He is adorable.

2 Likes

Oh my goodness, they are both so darn cute! Well done.

1 Like

Oooh! Otto! :heart_eyes:
Very talented knitting on both pieces though :grinning:

1 Like

They are really cute! I’m impressed you used cotton yarn! I haven’t crocheted (well anything) in quite a while, but when I was crocheting amigurumis, I found cotton yarn to be sturdy yet hard on my hands.

You really stepped up to their requests! I’m sure they’ll be cherished for years!

3 Likes

I definitely needed a break by the time I was done!!! With knitting it was a bit easier than crocheting, but now for the fennec fox I’m using wool instead of cotton, because I couldn’t face doing another cotton animal just yet. I actually did a first otter, currently unfinished, in wool. I got the gauge a bit wrong since that color of the wool I used was just a bit thinner than the other colorways, so it was a loose knit and her stuffing showed through. Now that the holidays are past, I want to finish Othelia. She just needs ears, eyes, and maybe a cute sweater to cover the gappiness on her back :laughing:

3 Likes

Otto! I love him! But they are both adorable!!

1 Like

No wonder you were asked to make a contribution, because these are so precious! Great color choices!

1 Like

These are so adorable! And they both look so truly cuddly, too.

1 Like

These are adorable. I love otters and raccoons.

I also love fennec foxes and can crochet. and I would be willing to try out a pattern.

1 Like

I’m laughing at how specific the boys’ requests were, but man, you hit it out of the park! Ricky and Otto are fantastic! And kudos again for powering through with the cotton yarn. Whew!

3 Likes

Oh good!! I’m so excited to get the pattern finished up. It’s a tail-first pattern, and I’m up to the neck. I’ve frogged the first ear twice for not being quite big enough, but I’m confident the next one will stick XD I’m planning to crochet a second one in some different yarns to do a test of the pattern before sharing it for other testers, so it’ll probably be another week or two, but I’m really excited! It will be first pattern I’ve created for sharing!!!

1 Like

Oh, they’re both fantastic! I have a special fondness for otters, but your racoon is just so adorable that I think it’s my favorite. And, welcome to Lettuce Craft!

1 Like