Panther Marker Rendering

I made this panther for the IYP swap. My partner likes black panthers and I wanted to take up the challenge since drawing black animals is kind of hard for me.
I sketched it out, then used a Micron to outline it. Then, I set about rendering it. Instead of using black, I used several shades of warm gray. I built those up to create some highlights and shadowing. I also used a Faber-Castell brush pen in white to add the white bits. I like that pen because it’s a brush pen and looks more painted than a gel pen.
This is before I cut it down to size. The colors are more accurate here.

I trimmed it to 5x7.

Then I photocopied it to make a card for my partner. The weird part is that I liked the photocopy better than the original. LOL! She got both.

15 Likes

It is stunning!
I love it.

1 Like

You’ve got some serious skills, well done!

1 Like

Serious kitty executed with serious skills!

1 Like

This is fabulous ! Your rendering is beautiful!

1 Like

This is awesome!

1 Like

Hold the phone, I thought you said you had trouble drawing black animals? Your panther is perfection :purple_heart:

1 Like

Thanks for explaining how you did this beautiful piece! I haven’t painted my black cats because black can be difficult!

Love both the painting and the card!

1 Like

For me, building up with lighter grays works, but that is because with each stroke I am making the last darker with markers. I guess it depends on the paint you are using. I would guess watercolors would have the same effect, but I don’t use them, so this is just a guess. But acrylics would just paint over the last layer due to their opacity. I think the most important thing is to focus on the highlights vs the shadows.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s exactly right. In watercolor you do lots of light washes of transparent color to build up to the values you’re looking for (that’s actually why paper is the most important supply in watercolor, you need something that can handle all the layers). You can also go in right away with a super thick consistency of paint but it’s harder to correct that way.

2 Likes

That is how it is with marker rendering! You have to have a really good quality paper to accept all the layers, or it will pill and saturate weird.

2 Likes

It’s always interesting to find out what the camera sees! Great picture either way. (I struggled with the black fluffy animal thing with our old cat.)

1 Like

What kind of paper do you use for your marker pieces? Is it specially made for marker?

1 Like

This is so beautiful!! You knocked this out of the park!!! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like