Pantry Buster - Adzuki Bean Stew

Do you buy weird ingredients you’ve never cooked with and have no idea how to use? Sigh, I do.
Destashing the pantry is a good way to force myself to use that stuff up. Today was adzuki beans & extremely dark cocoa powder (think mole sauce). I could make this “recipe” again with any combo of beans, veg & spices too.

Measure to taste, I am a just-toss-some-in-there chef :kissing_heart:
Saute chopped onion in oil over med heat, add salt to sweat
Grated ginger, minced garlic
Cumin, paprika, garam masala, turmeric, toasted in the pot
Unsweetened cocoa powder, a sprinkle of garlic powder, dried onion, a no salt seasoning from costco, bay leaf
1 can of tomatoes, chopped potato, carrot, zucchini, & 2 cups dried adzuki beans.
Water to cover all ingredients, remember the beans will swell
salt & pepper to taste, cayenne for heat if you like
If too acidic, add a bit of sweetner. I used coco sugar (busting that food stash! lol)

Simmer until beans are tender. This can take a while & veg get very soft, those can be added part way through if you prefer them firmer.

Can be served as is or with a squeeze of lemon/lime & a sprinkle of chopped parsley or cilantro. A dollop of sour cream is good too.

I was concerned it would be too heavy but nope, rich but also nice & light with all the veg & tomato. Delish!

6 Likes

This is totally my style of cooking. Recently I made an accidental Satay sauce that was delish. On our chat, I told friends, who then asked for the recipe…

I was, hmmm, I can tell you the ingredients but no measurements because I just don’t!. It’s all to taste.

This is also why I can’t bake cakes / make bread, they need more precision than I care for!!

3 Likes

So true! Rustic seedy loaves can sometimes come out ok mixed “by feel” but not proper bread. That’s a terrible disaster.

Thats how I cook too! My mother-in-law is staying with us and asked for a few of my recipes. I couldn’t tell her how much of anything or how long to bake or anything :laughing:

1 Like

Well it’s really the most fun way, for me anyhow. I’m the same with crafting. A pattern? Nah, why would I ever even want such a thing? LOL!

1 Like

I do this for TheMisterT who is the Head Cook here! Usually at an Asian market or somewhere specializing in non-standard-in-US groceries.

1 Like

This sounds amazing. I bet the cocoa adds so much depth!

1 Like

It does! It’s sort of… nutty? Smokey & dark, great depth of flavour.

1 Like

Sounds delicious!
Reminds me of my grandmother’s recipes. They would say things like, “Add [specified ingredient] until you have enough.”

2 Likes

My gran made a thing called Mustgo Soup, aka everything in the fridge Must Go, lol!

3 Likes