Paper Bird Dolls turned Framed Art

Playing with paper, inspired by other LC paper crafters, and because one of my friends liked the bird doll and birdfish… Encouraged along the way and free advices given from my LC friends as I turned the “dolls” into art :slight_smile:

“Fancy Song Bird”

“Royal Birdfish”

“Musical Birdfish”

All together in simple black frames:

More info (mostly for me 'cause I like reminders :wink:):

They are each 5" x 7", I had planned on them being 4" x 6" and just gave them a wider border that was going to be partially covered by the frame mats, buuuut I liked them better without the white mats so I framed them that way.

The borders are solid gelli print masterboards cut to size and an opening cut from the middle. The birds came from an old book and the (new) bodies were made from gelli print masterboards and I used ink around the edges. I fussy-cut the white around each one for these pieces. The white helps them “pop” from the backgrounds. I used watercolors to paint book pages for the main background papers. The “Fancy Song Bird” is on a green background and the two “Birdfish” are on blue (it looks more blue in real life).

Thanks for looking! :slight_smile:

19 Likes

These are so freakin’ fun!

1 Like

These are so cool! I love getting the closeup images to scout the nifty details.

1 Like

The Fancy Song Bird :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Love what you did! The backgrounds, borders and frames you used all perfectly complement the dolls you made :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you all :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Gorgeous! The black frames make them pop even more :smiley:

1 Like

They are great, the frames definitely make them pop

1 Like

These turned out so nicely!!! I agree, the frames are perfect!

1 Like

These are so cool. That royal birdfish!

1 Like

Congrats! Your Paper Bird Dolls is one of this week’s featured projects. You rock!

2 Likes

Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

They are beautiful!
So much creativity going on. I love how you used your famous masterboards.
The Fancy Song Bird is my favorite of the three.

(When I still designed and handmade all of my New Year cards, I often used this technique of gluing something on a white or sometimes black background and then cut it out again, leaving a small white/black edge. It makes objects stand out from their backgrounds so much better.)

1 Like

These are amazing Frankenrein!! So clever and creative!!

1 Like

Thank you everyone :blush: I’ll be gifting them tomorrow over coffee :slightly_smiling_face:

(yikes, I’m socializing! :flushed:)

1 Like

How pretty, and have fun!

1 Like

I know you struggled with these in the beginning but you turned them into some wonderful gifts! I see you took some suggestions about the background behind the birds…really like your imagination as well in making these odd creatures…coolio!

1 Like