Paper Collage (jackdaw, face mask)

I made this paper art collage.
I found a silhouette of a jackdaw online, downloaded it, resized it, rotated it, printed it, glued it to the back of a piece of black paper and cut it out with scissors.
Then I asked Marc to help me. I have a canvas board with a piece of white paper taped to it, that I use as background for pictures. I asked Marc to hold his arms around it and hold the face mask like a hammock. We tried different poses and I decided to crop the picture so that I only had his thumbs left (I didn’t want his hands to distract from the jackdaw and his face mask hammock). Then I cut it out.
Then I found the picture of the greenery in my β€˜pages torn from old magazines’ stash and added it. The grey with white swirly bits background is a piece of craft paper and the balloon and party flag came from a craft block.
I drew the jackdaw’s eye with a pencil and drew a line around Marc’s thumbs with a fine liner, to make them stand out from the background.
I used double sided sticky squares (the ones for 3D card making) to have the jackdaw come forward from the page and also did not glue the face mask (picture) to the background, just the thumbs, to give it realistic depth.
(On my blog I posted this text under the collage:
Jackdaws: β€˜People, thanks for throwing away used face masks outdoors!’)
So yes, that’s about it.
I hope you like it.

16 Likes

This is so very clever!

1 Like

Hilarious & also excellent social commentary about mask littering. This is a great PSA!

2 Likes

@Magpie, what does PSA mean?

Public Service Announcement.

1 Like

Right, thanks!

It is very cute & amusing but of course no bird is actually collecting & making use of discarded masks so it’s a funny, eye-catching way of saying β€œpick up your garbage, humans!”. We need more of that. How cool would it be to see a contest or challenge to come up with similar as a way to raise awareness about PPE littering?

2 Likes

This is super! What a fab collage :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, let’s declare this our LC challenge!

2 Likes

Thanks, @MissingWillow, @Magpie and @loves2experiment!

How wonderful. What a great idea.

1 Like

Love this.

1 Like

Great collage work! Outlining the thumbs gave them an almost computer-rendered effect.

1 Like

Thanks, @kittykill, @Smmarrt and @gozer!

1 Like

I love how thought out this is, and such a clever way to make a statement.

1 Like

Fantastic!!

1 Like

Thank you, @Serenity and @jemimah!