Paper, Mixed Media, Art Journaling Craftalong 2023

Looking forward to another year! Excellent organization on the first post!

1 Like

You put a lot of work into this, @geekgirl!! Thank you!!

1 Like

Last night, New Yearā€™s Eve, I painted another page from our zoom time on Saturday and today, January 1st, I finished so I think it belongs in this yearā€™s craftalong.

It might not look like it now, when itā€™s finished, but I still donā€™t really get how to use water paints properly. Without the line work, each spot looks like a hot mess, unless thatā€™s how naked paint looks. Iā€™m so used to precision in my doodles that maybe anything messy looks wrong now :smiley:

10 Likes

They look great!

I learned in Fodder School as well as some of the Alisa Burke classes that what I thought were ā€œblobsā€ and messy paint can turn into beautiful things with a bit of line work! I love the randomness of how watercolors workā€¦but it does take getting used to!

I love your doodles inside!

3 Likes

@geekgirl - Should we reinvigorate the monthly prompts?

Working on my Alisa Burke Leftover lesson - painting and collage-ing pages.

Water color

Collage

Working in a composition book with about one quarter of pages removed and a Canson media book - 5.5ā€ by 8.5ā€.

7 Likes

Prompts are fun!
I can start us off for January.

January Prompts:
This could be done in a journal page, on a tag, ATC, etc. Anything papery/mixed media

Use 3 of the 5 items listed below:

• the color gray
  • a number
  • mark making
  • a crown
  • security envelope
8 Likes

The orange one is a great combo of watercolor plus your doodles! I also like the wavy lines you used.

1 Like

Thanks, I like that one too. I wanted the doodles to show up but not overwhelm the orange colour, so why not use an orange pen.

2 Likes

Good start! I signed up for the leftovers class too but after doing about 19 hours of the Artsy Meetup Marathon I took a break from my art supplies the rest of the day. Hoping to catch up tomorrow or Tuesday.

2 Likes

I couldnā€™t stay connected due to the storm so Iā€™ll watch it as replay over the next week. Any classes/ teachers that you loved/liked?

I am seriously considering this class from Willa Wanders. Itā€™s a little more than I typically spend on a class, but I might call it an early bday presentā€¦

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been watching her IG stories on this one and going back and forth on registering. It would be more fun if youā€™re doing it too so Iā€™ll probably sign up if you do.

1 Like

I actually really liked all of the classes this year. There were a couple I didnā€™t do, one if the teachers made a pocket, Kristin Peterson maybe? I also didnā€™t do Kristen Radden --Layered Landscapes (A Collage Project) since I didnā€™t have any magazines with landscapes in them. I needed to carve and print my stamp for #carvedecember so I used the time during those sessions, if I didnā€™t need to do the stamp I would have done them.

I did Kialaā€™s intro lesson on a sheet of 12x18ā€ watercolor paper which I used for my covers for Liz Constableā€“ Matryoshka Books. Catherine Rains ā€“ Gratitude Collage Grid Was fun but I wish I would have used pencil instead of pen for the journaling because it distracts too much from the collages. I only saw part of Kellee Wynneā€˜a grid journaling lesson before I needed to get some sleep, so Iā€™ll catch that on the replay. I think DeeDee was out with the flu so Iā€™m not sure who covered her slot. I plan to catch up on the ones I missed while I was sleeping once theyā€™re posted.

Overall I really enjoyed all of the lessons even though there was a lot more journaling than I usually incorporate into my art. It actually made me think I want to incorporate more for 2023.

2 Likes

I only managed 10 hours. I really liked the little scrappy books but I canā€™t remember who did the class. you glued lots of paper scraps onto muslin (I used cheesecloth) and made a little book out of it. I did do the pockets and liked the junky look and they will go nicely in some of my junk journals. I wasnā€™t crazy about the collaged landscapes. But people did seem to really like them. I really liked my page I did early on with Tiffany.

It turns out my craft room chair is super uncomfortable after a few hours.

Looking forward to watching the rest of the videos on replay.

@Abbeeroad i got the email about that class this morning. I did think about it briefly and then decided not to.

6 Likes

I think that was Roben-Marie Smith, I really liked that one too. I used muslin and matte medium and my book is surprisingly still flexible.

1 Like

I love Wendyā€™s classes - I like her style. But yes, itā€™s a lot of money and I donā€™t really need another thing this month/year. And Iā€™m crap at taking time to practice anything.

But you know, early bird pricing always tempts me. Ugh.

2 Likes

lolā€¦I havenā€™t signed up for anything yet this year and I havenā€™t done one of Wendyā€™s classes before. I can feel myself cavingā€¦ :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Also, Instagram suggested Catherine Rains to me so I did sign up for a free 5-day collage class. Itā€™s a teaser for a longer class but Iā€™ll just try the freebie.

2 Likes

Abbee, that does look good & my lettering needs help, BUT, there are so mant free classes out there for lettering. I have to at least try a couple of those before spending any money. I havenā€™t touched any of the classes I paid for last year, lol.

2 Likes

ughā€“neither have I! I have to decide to keep paying for the Handmade Book Club access or cut my lossesā€¦I did the free classes and then never did another oneā€¦

2 Likes