Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

Attach to birthday gifts
Use as thank you cards
Add to any swap item
Wear them “Minnie Pearl” style on your clothing
Make them into a garland or swag
Add inspirational sayings to the backs and then pick a card a day to inspire you.

8 Likes

Fabulous transformation!

I cover the back with mostly plainer paper and insert them into journals to write on. You can use them for gift tags as well or string them on some ribbon to make a sort of bunting (I do this with prayer flags…)

They can be used for bookmarks (I use the ones I get from you guys!)

3 Likes

Do you seal them at all? I used some neocolor crayons and I’m worried it might rub off onto the book pages.

I don’t, but so far, the ones I have received seem to be mostly paints and images, so they are not coming off in my books

those look great. I like the torn black bits - it really makes the wonky bits stand out.

2 Likes

I used some of my wonky bits this morning too

1 Like

Like I said in another thread: now you all got me wanting to make wonky bits…
And paint stickers…
But, but, but…, I don’t want to do what everybody else does.
That’s the main reason I don’t follow craft tutorials.
It’s a dilemma.

2 Likes

I think the crafting tutorials are just a starting point to learn the method, just like buying a completed embroidery kit to start, etc. You can then branch out and no matter what, it is nearly impossible to make the exact same thing unless you trace or print out a sheet…you have enough creativity to make any project your own! Go for it!

5 Likes

That’s true.
I shouldn’t be too strict about not wanting to do what others do.
I’ll always do it my way.

2 Likes

You can brayer gel medium onto your gel plate and put the tags on to seal any water reactive media.

5 Likes

What?! That’s so good to know! I have issues with smudging, grunge is cool when you meant for it happen but you don’t always want it!

I know I worry about some of my water reactive inks…great tip! Thanks!

Thanks for the tip! I’m curious if there’s a benefit to braying it onto the gel plate vs using a paint brush or makeup sponge and applying directly to the tag? Smoother coverage maybe?

I also remembered that I got some distress micro glaze for sealing my distress inks, I wonder if that would work as well. Lots of things to try!

1 Like

Every brush stroke causes smudging!

1 Like

:woman_facepalming: Duh, thanks! Can you tell I’m still super new to the mixed media/paper world? :slight_smile:

Me too. That’s how I ended up smudging a thing I was trying to seal to prevent smudging, hahaha!

2 Likes

There’s also a Krylon spray - a fixative. Don’t remember the exact name, Crystal Clear?
You can spray indoors, but it still has an odor (to me.)

2 Likes

Enabler alert - Fodder School sign-ups start on July 15. I’m going to forgo joining the year-long Make Create Express in favor of this. I know it’s not for everyone but I like this new (new to me) group of teachers/artists.

http://willawanders.com/fodderschool

4 Likes

The link is wonky… :slight_smile:

It doesn’t go live until 7/15.

1 Like