Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

My lady:

I’m pretty happy with it. I will definitely practice more. I like the idea of being able to sketch a face and not rely on materials.

8 Likes

@photojenn. I really love seeing the text, too! And I like the low light areas.

@geekgirl. I really enjoy you did not make her smile. Maybe that wasn’t the intent, but I absolutely love when ladies aren’t smiling. We’re not obligated to appear pleasant and decorative. I REALLY like her. I wish I would have done it.

I had SUCH a good time with y’all, today! So many talented peeps showing up to art!

2 Likes

Sorry I couldn’t make it, but what you’re sharing is gorgeous! I love the unique personality in each of your ladies, and all the patterns and textures going on. And the autumnal color palette, of course!

1 Like

Mine in its current state:

I’m actually pretty happy with it. I may go in tomorrow and lightly gesso over some of the exposed collage. I don’t like it completely obscured/covered, but all the exposed text here feels like a lot.

A closeup of her face because the teal makes it kind of hard to see in the wide shot:

9 Likes

Absolutely LOVE her lips! And your color! Yasss! I love the almost sanded blue of her face and the text below.

I just love everyone’s faces!! It was so great to get creative with you all, even if I wasn’t completely awake… :smile:

It’s daylight here now, so here’s a photo of where I got to.

I’m not sure if I’ll do more to it or move on to something else. I think I could have pushed the whimsical big eyes/exaggerated shapes a bit more, but it was fun to play around with this style.

9 Likes

I’m in love with this! And your color palette! Did you use water colors or acrylic?

2 Likes

It’s as if we are seeing her through a rainy window pane. Love the colors. Are the cursive bits a stamp?

Also, you rally hard, @jemimah!

1 Like

And now these Spring beauties! There is so much to love here; bravo!

1 Like

Thanks! I used some white acrylic and gesso underneath. The coloured paint is Neocolor II watersoluble crayons, with quite a bit of water to make it run and drip. I’m finding the Neocolor II a lot of fun for mixed media - they move around a bit like watercolour, but they are thicker and more opaque, with quite vivid colours. I love using my watercolours too, but they can sometimes get a bit lost over the top of collage.

@JoyfulClover yes, I finally got a little handwriting stamp. I think a bigger stamp would be more effective, but this small one was all I found in the shops here.

3 Likes

Hey all y’all crafty makers!

This Friday, October 16th, at 7pm EST @PrincessP agreed to show how to make the spooky dementors she posted about!

for more details, she did a couple posts, starting here:

https://forum.lettucecraft.com/t/zoom-meet-up/5522/409

Supply list:

Reply in the thread if you are interested, and I’ll send a DM with zoom details Thurs!

Hope to see y’all there!

Tagging the regular paper zoomers, but ALL are welcome:
@PrincessP
@geekgirl
@Edel
@photojenn
@craftADDchick
@AIMR
@calluna
@Kwality570
@megwell
@jemimah

4 Likes

I had such a good time with the craftalong today. This was what I ended up with. I put a coat of decoupage sealer on top because i used a 10b pencil a lot, so I was afraid it would smudge.

The texture paint I used was just 50:50 baking soda and white acrylic, but I think a couple of drops of PVA would have been a good idea, mixed in. Would make it more durable i think.

Can’t wait for the next one

10 Likes

@Edel. Her ears!!! And she’s staring at joy!!!

Thanks for sharing the texture formula!

Thanks! I was also super happy with the lips. I like how the teal turned out, but it did make sketching the face on top of it more difficult. But, lesson learned.

1 Like

What a fun little get together yesterday. Thanks so much to @geekgirl again for hosting us all! I love how creative and different everyone’s pieces look. Everyone seemed to do a much better job than I did to keep some of the background image peeking through. Mine only peeks through in two little spaces.

Here’s my final from yesterday:

And how I fixed the first one yesterday at the end of the call with a bunch of additional layers:

8 Likes

I still like the moon sorta thing in the upperbleft, and the shadows under her eyes.

I like her neck, too. Hummmm. I am going to go back and fix mine.

I’ve been really inspired by the zoom, so I had a gloriously messy time today, trying out backgrounds with watercolours and acrylics. I did a load of little reference cards with different techniques on them. And I may have been shopping on AliExpress in the middle of the night. I put yesterday’s textured paint in a little lidded pot and it was perfect today.
Some experiments

And a page. The background for this was the kitchen roll I had down to protect my new cutting mat. I had to use it.

9 Likes

That is such a good idea to make technique pages! And, thanks for the update on the DIY texture paste.

I LOVE the stark difference between the background and the girl and how you brought a little bit of brightness back to the background with the triangle stamps. I think it really balances it out and creates a lot of eye movement throughout the piece.

She turned out sooo cool. I wouldn’t have noticed the eyes if you hadn’t said anything! You are like the master of backgrounds!!! I love how your letters that you used the stencil on came out. Did you use texture paste for those?

I love the way your face turned out too! The pattern paper gives the whole thing a type of ethereal quality that is so soft and delicate. I like that and the juxtaposition between the dark drips along the top and right side. The white touches you added really add movement to the piece too. Very cool!

I would be too! The lovely way you used so much color is amazing. Her face is also so sweet. The flowers in the hair are so much fun!

I’m so happy you joined us in the middle of the night! Man. This is beautiful! The layering is gorgeous. I love how she still has exposed background bits and that handwriting stamp is awesome!

Man! I adore this piece! I love how much of your background you left showing throughout. Your girl is gorgeous and her hair is so much fun. She’s definitely a woodsy kind of dweller! I love your experimental page you posted too. It looks like you had a ton of fun creating it!

5 Likes

me too. then you don’t have to worry about finding just the right picture to trace or whatever. I also like Toni Burt’s style of not drawing complete lines. like my bottom lip is only a small line, it’s not a complete lip.

That’s ok but we did miss you! and @Reinikka. Hopefully you guys can join in next time.

I love what you did. I love the face being teal. You can always gesso over and if you want to bring back more color you always can!

she is gorgeous. I like you went in and painted/shaded her whole face.

I keep thinking about getting some but I have so many thing… watercolor crayons, oil pastels gelatos, watercolor pencil, Jane Davenport’s scribble sticks, etc…
markers, pens, paints, colored pencils, chalk pastels (although those live with my clay supplies), inks, etc. etc. etc. I forget about my handwriting stamp. totally should have used that!

I love all the details and images in your piece. so much to look at. love the profile view

You can always add more layers if you want! but I think it looks awesome. love the hair and her smile.

what an awesome idea!!!

3 Likes